Budget SpecialistJohns Hopkins Center for American Indian Health
The Center for American Indian Health (CAIH) is located administratively within the Department of International Health at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. The core activities housed at CAIH include research studies of infectious diseases, behavioral health, mental health and a training program. CAIH is currently seeking a qualified person to work within a team on pre-award and post-award grants and contracts activities. This position will provide support to the Financial Manager and CAIH faculty and staff.
Purpose of Position:
The Budget Specialist for the Center of American Indian Health (CAIH) will coordinate and oversee budgeting activities and assist with managing financial activities for sponsored funds, general funds, gift/discretionary, and endowment funds. This position aids the Grants and Contracts Analysts for the Baltimore location as well as provide support for staff in our field office sites located in Arizona, New Mexico, and Minnesota.
Knowledge and Skill:
- Experience working with various office and financial software applications such as Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Power Point, and Outlook), and the ability to operate a computer, copier, fax, and calculator is required.
- Essential to the position is the ability to verify that transactions are allowable, allocable, and compliant with University, Federal, and Private sponsoring agency guidelines.
- Understanding and demonstrated use of financial reporting and account reconciliation.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills; with the ability to communicate and work effectively with a broad cross-section of clients including: faculty, staff, students, and administration within the JHU as well as external contacts.
- Must be collaborative with excellent interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Must be able to set and manage multiple priorities and respond quickly to changing needs and goals.
- Excellent organizational skills, analytical and problem-solving abilities, and attention to detail.
- Ability to work with minimum direction and prioritize work to meet various concurrent deadlines
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Verify and process in SAP - vendor invoices, online and wire payments, check requisitions, travel advances and reimbursements, and other payment requests for completeness, compliance, and apply charges to appropriate accounts.
- Assist Grants & Contracts Analysts with sorting/matching/cataloging original back-up documentation from field offices with P-Card and Travel Card transactions processed in Baltimore Office.
- Process deposit transmittals and transport to Finance Office.
- Reconcile all accounts, monitor expenditures/revenues, and verify backup documentation monthly to ensure compliance with university and/or agency regulations and restrictions.
- Process non-payroll cost transfers when charged to incorrect budgets.
- Follow-up with appropriate internal and external contacts to resolve questions regarding payments, purchase requests, and other routine inquiries.
- Develop and maintain electronic and paper record keeping systems through filing, retrieval, retention, storage, compilation, coding, updating, and purging.
- Work with Finance and Grants & Contracts Team regarding routine financial activities and to assist in other financial/administrative duties as needed.
Education and Experience:
High School Diploma/GED. Three years of related administrative and/or budget experience. Related coursework at the college level may substitute for experience to the extent permitted by the JHU equivalency formula.
JHU Equivalency Formula: 30 undergraduate degree credits (semester hours) or 18 graduate degree credits may substitute for one year of experience. For jobs where equivalency is permitted, up to two years of non-related college course work may be applied towards the total minimum education/experience required for the respective job.
- Knowledge of SAP and COEUS highly desirable.
- Familiarity with University and Departmental policies and procedures.
- Background in accounting or bookkeeping preferred
Classified Title: Budget Specialist
Working Title: Budget Specialist
Role/Level/Range: ATO 40/E/02/OE
Starting Salary Range: commensurate with experience): $17.25 - $23.72
Employee Group: Full Time
Schedule: M-F; 8:00am - 5:00pm
Exempt Status: Non-Exempt
Location: Duluth, MN
Department Name: 10001145-Ctr for Amer IndnAlskn Nat Hlth CAIANH
Personnel Area: School of Public Health
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at email@example.com. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.