System Engineer for Embedded SystemsIllumina, Inc.
The Embedded Systems System Engineer will work with internal and external stakeholders to drive the development of ultra-high-performance embedded systems in support of Illumina’s need for high throughput, state of the art genomic sequencing. This crucial role partners with electrical engineers, system architects, software/firmware/FPGA developers, R&D scientists and test teams to support development of Next Generation Sequencing platforms.
- Lead, contribute and support in the development of high throughput sequencing instruments with a focus on Systems Engineering for Embedded Systems
- Work with multi-discipline teams to create requirements and specifications, manage traceability information and track status
- Evaluate various technical solutions to optimize performance, reliability, serviceability, risk and cost
- Perform cross-discipline technical feasibility studies, system modelling and analysis, prototyping and testing
- Document design proposals, alternatives and decision paths in a clear and concise manner
- Assist in the preparation of documentation, including interface specifications, system configurations, protocols, reports, and other design history documents
- Support system integration, verification and validation activities
- Monitor and optimize system performance according to specifications, critical parameters and established performance metrics
- Troubleshoot and resolve complex system-level issues, lead both short term containment and permanent solutions
- Define and implement processes to improve project execution within the Embedded System team
Listed responsibilities are an essential, but not exhaustive list, of the usual duties associated with the position. Changes to individual responsibilities may occur due to business needs
- Demonstrated work experience as an Embedded Systems Engineer including working knowledge in electronics, FPGA and firmware design
- Exposure to other engineering disciplines, including Software Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Optical Engineering or Physics is preferred
- Systems thinking acuity and outside the box thinking is required
- Flexibility to adapt to a rapidly changing work environment, manage competing demands and deal with delays or unexpected events
- Ability to propose technologies, methods, and evaluation criteria to realize product functionality
- Exposure to developing and executing verification and validation test plans
- Accurately document systems and methods, and able to create flowcharts, diagrams, manuals and other documentation
- Demonstrated problem solving skills including the ability to identify and resolve problems in a timely manner as well as gather and analyze information skillfully
- Experience with Atlassian tools (Jama, Jira, Confluence) and prototyping tools, a plus
- Excellent communication, influencing and conflict resolution skills
- Collaborates, builds relationships and influences team members to work toward common goals
All listed requirements are deemed as essential functions to this position; however, business conditions may require reasonable accommodations for additional task and responsibilities.
- BS, MS or PhD in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, System Engineering or related discipline.
Illumina believes that everyone has the ability to make an impact, and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to providing employment opportunity regardless of sex, race, creed, color, gender, religion, marital status, domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, pregnancy, military or veteran status, citizenship status, and genetic information. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. To learn more, visit: https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf