Staff Project Manager, Real Estate & ConstructionIllumina, Inc.
This position is a Leadership and Management role within the Global Facilities Management Service (GFMS) – Global Real Estate and Construction (GEC) organization responsible for the functions related to Real Estate Decision Planning, Facilities Planning, Design/Construction Management, Occupancy Planning/Execution for a wide variety of facility types, procurement and delivery methodologies. Efforts could include projects ranging from greenfield developments with a core and shell followed by interior fit outs to leasehold improvements/renovations related to office, laboratory, and manufacturing type facilities ranging from non-classified to cGMP. This position is responsible for leading, planning, executing, monitoring, and control of multiple projects from assignment through the completion of construction, commissioning, validation, and customer occupancy.
Must demonstrate strong communications skills at all levels of an organization with the ability to identity end-users and stake holder’s needs, evaluate and validate functional requirements, and communicate those needs to the planners, architect, engineer, and/or general contractor; monitoring projects in the field, managing the architect, engineer, and/or general contractor and participating in real-time problem resolution; economical and timely project completion to achieve specified scope of work while maintaining adherence to approved budget and schedule. Must also possess the ability to perform value engineering on projects as well as being able to develop cost standards and metrics.
The primary responsibilities will be to manage multiple simultaneous renovations projects of various size and complexity in a life sciences / biotechnology environment. Tasks include accurately defining the project’s objectives, create schedules and budgets and oversee quality control throughout the entire project, to deliver the project according to Illumina’s requirements, plans, and specifications. The position will also need to attain resources, manage own team and third-party contractors and/or consultants. In addition, the positions will need to be able to identify, assess and minimize project risks until successful project completion. Experience required in managing all aspects required in the planning, design and construction of office, laboratory and manufacturing facilities within a biotechnology environment or equivalent experience working within the boundaries of highly controlled/regulated environments
Additional responsibilities may include technical studies; capital budgeting (capital investment decisions, project analysis and evaluation, risk and return); identification of future trends in research equipment and processes and translate these trends into criteria, schematic plans and specifications to be used to assist in the design of new and renovated facilities; and additional project management support to senior management as directed.
Experienced applying project management best practices, project management methodologies and project control techniques, throughout the full project.
- Principles and practices of construction, engineering disciplines in assigned project area
- Principles and practices of engineering design and construction in assigned project area
- Principles and practices of design and construction project management
- Principles and practices of contract administration
- Principles and practices used in the preparation of designs, plans, specifications and cost estimates
- Methods and techniques of coordinating and scheduling project work
- Methods and techniques of contract negotiation and procurement
- Principles and practices of budget development and administration
- Expertise in working within a life sciences sector, biotechnology or pharmaceutical environments. Experience working in cGMP validated environment a plus
- Knowledge of AutoCAD or Revit a plus.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite including Microsoft Project, Primavera or BaseCamp or equivalent
- Excellent oral and written communication skills to deal effectively with internal customers and external resources and regulatory agencies
- Must work well in a highly collaborative team environment, and work independently with minimal direction to achieve project goals
Education and Experience:
- Typically requires a professional bachelor’s degree in Architecture/ Engineering or related discipline and a minimum of 8 years of related experience with a bachelor’s degree; or a minimum of 6 years and a Master’s degree; or equivalent experience.
- Experience required in managing all aspects required in the planning, design and construction of office, laboratory and manufacturing facilities within a biotechnology environment or equivalent experience working within the boundaries of highly controlled/regulated environments.
- Candidates with direct work experience at Architectural, Engineering or General Contracting firms managing either the design or construction of commercial building projects will be looked at more favorably.
- Candidates with significant experience with Construction Manager at Risk and Design Build Delivery Methods will be looked at more favorably
**We encourage our veteran community to please apply**
Illumina believes that everyone has the ability to make an impact, and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to providing employment opportunity regardless of sex, race, creed, color, gender, religion, marital status, domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, pregnancy, military or veteran status, citizenship status, and genetic information. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. To learn more, visit: https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf