Sr Engineer - Product DevelopmentIllumina, Inc.
The Sr. Product Development Engineer is part of the Illumina engineering team creating new industry-leading genetic analysis platforms for life sciences and clinical markets. In this position you will lead the definition and development new consumable products to support Illumina’s industry leading genetic applications. The job includes working on cross-functional teams as well as evaluating new technologies, materials, and vendor partners to meet performance, reliability, yield, and cost objectives of product development.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Lead and contribute to development cycles of new consumable products, including design, assembly architecture, process definition, process development, equipment specification and prototyping, materials selections and metrology development.
- Define product-level specifications and requirements, and translate them to critical parameter management at physical level in the process.
- Implement model systems to reduce cycle of learning time of process development
- Work with equipment vendors and contract manufacturers on requirements management, specification control, and prototyping of novel process workflows
- Work with cross-functional teams to scale prototype processes to pilot and production scale
- Define and implement process controls, in-line monitoring, and metrology for QA
- Deep dive on failure analysis and lead both short term containment and permanent solutions
- Data analysis of trends in performance tied to fundamental parameters and workflow; provide guidance on continuous improvement.
- Mentor others in the related areas
- Demonstrated ability to solve complex problems related to device assembly, micro-fluidics, chemical interactions, and strength/reliability of materials.
- Ability to design DOEs and execute complex process experiments and statistical analysis
- Experienced in the design and development of complex integrated devices (Microfluidic, Microelectronic, MEMS, etc)
- Experience with implementation of lean manufacturing concepts a plus.
- Ability to effectively work with engineers and scientists across multiple disciplines (mechanical, electrical, chemical, biological, etc) using Structured Problem-Solving techniques such as 8D.
- Ability to relate basic material, physical characteristics, and fabrication variations to performance
- Hands-on experience working with and optimizing automated manufacturing equipment a plus.
- Experience with micro-electronics and MEMS package level assembly techniques a plus.
- Strong interdepartmental communication skills required
- Collaborates, builds relationships and influences team members to work toward common goals
- Excellent written and oral communication and experienced presentation skills
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- MS or PhD in Chemical Engineering, Materials Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Bio-Medical Engineering or related technical field with experience in new product development.
- 3+ years of hands-on experience in process development and integration of manufacturing operations
Illumina believes that everyone has the ability to make an impact, and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to providing employment opportunity regardless of sex, race, creed, color, gender, religion, marital status, domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, pregnancy, military or veteran status, citizenship status, and genetic information. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. To learn more, visit: https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf