Director of Engineering, Platform NPI TransferIllumina, Inc.
We are looking for a driven Leader of Engineering to lead Platform NPI Transfer in our growing Process Development and Transfer group (PDT). The PDT group works as an integral part of the Global Quality and Operation’s team tasked with NPI transfer of into our production environments.
This individual will be accountable for the Platform NPI Transfer Team focused on close collaboration with Research and Development to commercialize new sequencing platforms and with Manufacturing to ensure successful launch and sustainment. The role drives the both strategic and tactical deliverables that enables rapid introduction on new products, and appropriately developed / characterized processes for Platform NPI programs. It includes the strategic development of technology roadmaps for new unique and difficult processes including new manufacturing technology across all consumables. This person partners effectively across the functions of Advanced Tech Development, Product Development, Quality, Finance, Production and other engineering groups to lead development of processes for new products.
This position shapes the development of Illumina’s core technologies and applications in one of the most technically innovative spaces in industry. The ideal candidate will have strong experience in manufacturing, design for manufacturing / assembly, process development, innovation, and integration of multiple engineering and science disciplines. The areas of expertise are broad including consumables design, manufacturing process development, Design for Six Sigma, Design for Manufacturing, and technical competency of chemistry, reagents, plastics, cartridge, and Flow Cell (semi-conductor manufacturing).
In addition, Illumina is also rapidly evolving into the applied markets with a clinical focus and applicable knowledge of cGMP is valuable.
- Lead a multi-disciplinary team of engineers and scientist with the core competencies of complex plastic cartridge, reagent formulation, fill and pack, and Flow Cell manufacturing
- Accountable for the Operation’s deliverables across a portfolio of new platform product introduction projects including design transfer, operational readiness, manufacturability, process/equipment design, and Finished Goods QC methods.
- Thought leader for driving robust process design efforts and Design for Manufacturability to ensure effective and reliable process performance
- Partner closely with Advanced Research and Product Development to shape the Operations requirements for innovative manufacturing technology into multi-year roadmaps
- Ensure the projects meet the all the required design history deliverables
- Continuously improve design transfer activities and further the state of manufacturing knowledge to reduce overall effort, time to market, and process quality while meeting financial goals
- Lead / collaborate closely across all Global Operations to ensure a unified voice to the NPI core teams
- Translate company and GQO strategy to department objectives in a clear, compelling and motivating manner
- Manage department budgets, staffing plans and resource allocation to ensure effective project / portfolio execution
- Establishes credibility and effectively influences executives and peers across organization
- Mentors managers within the department and provides coaching to leaders within project teams from other departments
- Establishes frameworks for collaboration and drives ongoing relationship (functions/sites), ensuring alignment with technology roadmap and project needs
- B.S./M.S./PhD in Chemical Engineering, Biochemical Engineering, Biotechnical Engineering, or MS/PhD in Materials Science or Physical Chemistry
- At least 10-15 years of relevant experience and at least 5 years as a technical and strategic manager.