Senior Facilities Planner, R&DIllumina Inc
Senior Facilities Planner – Liaison Research & Development
Under the general direction of the Associate Director, Planning, the Senior Facilities Planner will be the primary liaison with R&D (Research and Development), which includes Research Technology Development, Product Development and Clinical Genomics, when it comes to space and occupancy. This involves developing strong relationships across R&D and our internal GFMS (Global Facilities Management Services) and GIS (Global Information Systems) partners, in order to forecast needs, evaluate project and space requests, develop planning feasibility studies, analyze existing space use, and develop options for facility improvements and renovations for all space types within the San Diego Headquarters for Illumina, Inc. This includes, but is not limited to, various space types such as office/workplace, manufacturing (GMP), research and development, clinical R&D, and distribution/warehousing.
- Understand business unit requirements driving space change (expansion, renovation, optimization) and develop test fit or high-level feasibility plans to support change
- Proactively work with R&D to develop space solutions for new hires, interns, project changes to lab and office space, internal re-organizations, etc
- Engage with GFMS, GIS, Construction Design and Project Management and other stakeholders regularly to test plans and concepts, and to keep one another updated on project statuses
- Responsible for drafting or modeling scenarios for business unit and stakeholder review (leveraging CAD or BIM Modeling software)
- Responsible for field verification of existing space conditions (infrastructure, utilities, architectural, occupancy, lab equipment) to ensure accurate development of feasibility scenarios and options
- Create short term/interim solutions for personnel changes, new or relocating lab equipment and efficient use of space until the longer-term solutions can be implemented
- Participate in San Diego site and AMER region facilities master planning studies as needed by providing input, analysis, feasibility drawings, and reporting to support project requirements and facilities planning initiatives related to renovations and/or new construction.
- Participate in development of and uphold illumina’s Design Standards and Guidelines
- Support Design and Construction Project Management team as needed for development of operating and capital budgets, scope, schedule, and narrative descriptions to support capital project funding requests
- Maintain and provide real-time reporting of occupancy, capacity and building information, leveraging Archibus database, and related business analytic tools
- Conduct studies and special research projects to identify significant trends and facility needs
- Walk the spaces regularly, be the eye/ears for R&D in reporting issues and anticipating problems
- Fosters positive internal and external working relationships and collaborative communication (e.g. within GFMS, across business units and departments, design partner/consulting firms, etc) for the purpose of delivering efficient and effective facility planning support services and providing excellent customer service.
All About You
- Work includes ability to translate conceptual ideas to specific programming, find innovative solutions to solve space requests, review design plans and specifications for functionality, attainment of programming needs and workplace/technical specifications, design efficiency and building code compliance.
- Facilitator, demonstrating the ability to actively lead discussions with people of all levels, from lab manager to SVP.
- Offer creative options to solve individual requests but sees the big picture (understanding our company strategic plan) and keeps the teams grounded.
- This position must involve forward thinking, to be able to help the teams plan months to 5 years in advance, keeping an organized road map for change and growth.
- Good listener, allowing the client teams to thoroughly explain their needs and wants and makes these their priority.
- Continuous learner, constantly striving to improve their knowledge of the client team’s work and what is happening at the Illumina company level to balance and better serve their clients.
- Work with departments and departmental leadership to ensure space solution meets departmental goals, facilitate planning and programming meetings to collect all stakeholder requirements and incorporate into scenarios and design solutions, collaborate with Project Management team to develop project budgets and schedules, and ensure departmental requirements are met from inception to completion, including personnel, office furniture and lab equipment move/lab occupancy planning and execution.
- 5-8 years of experience in facilities planning and design.
- Experience in space planning of corporate facilities including biotech, laboratories, or manufacturing.
- B.S. or higher degree in building architecture, engineering, or related field. AIA/CA licensed architect with experience in design of life science, clinical, GMP type spaces preferred.
- Highly organized and detailed-oriented with superior thorough and descriptive documentation skills; ability to clearly display and report data and drawings; can communicate technical concepts to non-technical users; good design, research, writing and verbal communication skills; high level of technical competence and diplomacy essential; knowledge of building code, ADA, LEED, project management and facilities terminology; extensive experience with Windows-based applications such as Excel, Word, Visio, Project, Outlook. Revit or Google Sketch Up experience and AutoCAD 2017 proficient or higher.
- Previous experience with Computer-Aided Facilities Management (CAFM) and Integrated Workplace Management system (IWMS) such as Archibus. Up to 20% travel may be required.
- Ability to collect, compile and analyze a variety of data, identifies space needs and efficiencies, and adapt and match program needs to space available. Conducts research on space and service-related issues, analyzes situations accurately and develops corrective solutions in the selection of alternate approaches to space utilization and site master plans. Must work well independently and in a team environment and possess strong presentation skills.