Senior Director, Corporate & Strategic Planning
The Sr Director, Corporate & Strategic Planning reports to the Vice President, Corporate & Strategic Planning and is primarily responsible for the evolution and management of Illumina’s corporate and strategic planning processes including: leading strategy projects to identify new avenues for growth, evaluation and refinement of the company’s overall strategy, oversight and facilitation of our annual strategic planning process and organizing and hosting annual Board of Directors Strategic Offsite. The role collaborates with key leaders across the business to deliver best in class corporate and strategic planning to support Illumina’s short- and long-term objectives and leading market position. Partnering with leaders across the organization, it is this senior director’s responsibility to take advantage of the company's core competencies, and to help create strategies that align with those competencies and maximize the company’s ability to succeed.
This position requires am experienced business leader who has a track record in building effective teams, has demonstrated successful collaboration across a matrixed organization, and possesses a unique blend of process and strategic capability. We are looking for a candidate who combines intelligence, experience, confidence, humility, and a strong work ethic to build on the group’s solid foundation and create a truly world-class strategic planning capability at Illumina.
This role is responsible for:
- Leading a team and successfully supporting individual growth and the development and maturation of the function;
- Leading a variety of internal strategy projects similar to strategy consulting work;
- Managing a complex and tight set of processes that annually delivers a strategic plan, portfolio plan and the analysis of the resources needed to deliver on those plans;
- Driving/evolving the Corporate Planning function spanning process support and analysis to analytics and strategic insights (getting to - what the data tells us, what it means and recommending what to do);
- Creating tools and planning processes that help us make better decisions
- Minimum of 15+ years' total experience with 5-10 leading corporate development, business development, corporate strategic planning or management consulting in the area of strategic and business planning.
- Ideally, has held leadership role(s) in Corporate or Strategic Planning in a large $1 billion+ organization (a track record of growth within this is desirable).
- A work history that ideally combines business experience and consulting at a major international firm.
- Team Leadership: Proven ability to lead, coach and grow a world-class team. Able to build and cultivate a team of strategic thought partners to interface with and support key leaders and functions across the organization.
- Interpersonal/Influence: Align senior leaders and key stakeholders through excellent interpersonal skills, high EQ, and persuasion. Able to build and maintain relationships with key stakeholders.
- Strategy development: Experience within life sciences is preferred.
- Project Management: Track record of effectively planning and tightly managing the scope and life cycle of a project while balancing multiple stakeholders.
- Strategic Framing & Analytics: Drives to get beyond the abstract and general to deliver rigorous, nuanced and actionable recommendations. Ability to deliver insightful data analysis & synthesis that uncovers customer and market opportunities.
- Financial / Quantitative Analysis: Demonstrated ability to complete quantitative and qualitative analysis and financial models.
- Strong Communication Skills: Excellent communication / presentation skills using different sources of presentation media. Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with executives and garner high levels of credibility
Preferred Educational Background: What matters most for this role is what you have done, not what you have learned.
- BA/BS (science, business, math or finance)
- MBA or advanced degree in a discipline related to the role and needed background
In addition, all candidates must possess the following skills, experience, or attributes:
- Speed and Aggressiveness – possesses a collaborative, yet relentless approach to process improvement and team management in order to achieve best in class results, especially around cost, cycle time / throughput and customer service;
- Growth Driver – proven track record of partnering with R&D, Product Development, and the commercial team to optimize new product launches and product lifecycle management within a fast-paced, high growth company with a robust pipeline of new products and short product lifecycles;
- Talent Management – a “player-coach” and proven manager/developer of people; capable of recruiting, managing and motivating strong teams;
- Natural Leader with Strong Executive Presence – positive and dynamic management style, combined with superior communication skills and high credibility; able to gain followership and attain buy-in from internal stakeholders; capable of successfully navigating a complex organizational matrix;
- Proven Change Management Skills – the ability to influence and drive initiatives across functions, levels, and regions; tough-minded with courage of conviction, yet collaborative and professional;
- Business Acumen and Detail Orientation – able to contribute strategically to the broader needs and goals of the business, as well as drive superior performance through hands-on, day-to-day management of reagent and consumables manufacturing;
- Execution and Solutions-Oriented – able to marshal resources and convey a clear vision across an enterprise in order to meet or exceed objectives; a self-starter, able to perform within challenging and / or ambiguous environments and situations;
- Analytical Horsepower – a fast learner and decisive leader with a quick mind, sound judgment, and excellent problem solving / critical thinking skills.
Illumina believes that everyone has the ability to make an impact, and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to providing employment opportunity regardless of sex, race, creed, color, gender, religion, marital status, domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, pregnancy, military or veteran status, citizenship status, and genetic information. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at email@example.com. To learn more, visit: https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf