Research Associate: NanofabricationIllumina Inc
We are looking for a talented, experimental Research Associate to become a member of the Nanofabrication group within the Department of Research and Technology Development. Candidates with experience carrying out experimental work in the area of nanofabrication process development, prototyping flowcells and metrology.
This is an extremely exciting opportunity to contribute to core technology at the foundation of Illumina’s products. This individual will be a key contributor to the development of the substrates used to build microfluidic devices that are utilized in Illumina’s sequencing platforms. This new team member will be responsible for contributing to the evolution of Illumina’s existing technologies as well as help pave the path for future platforms. He/She will be part of the nanofabrication team, performing experiments aimed at answering basic scientific questions and solving complex problems with a primary focus on developing new substrate formats.
- Development of new substrates, patterning methodologies and methods to manufacture those substrates; this includes working in an academic cleanroom environment (UCSD’s Nano3 facility).
- Performing basic materials and microfluidics characterization, such as profilometry, optical microscopy, fluorescence microscopy, SEM and AFM to characterize the interface between Illumina’s surface chemistry and new substrate formats.
- Perform micro- and nano-fabrication activities, including thin film deposition, spin coating of resists, photolithography, reactive ion etching, and nanoimprint lithography to fabricate proof of concept substrates.
- The ideal candidate will have a BS/MS in Nanoengineering, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, Chemical and Physical Biology, Materials Science, Physics or a closely related field.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills. Contributor will regularly provide verbal updates, write reports, participate in technical meetings, and present results to team.
- Excellent laboratory and experimental skills; strong data analysis skills, ability to interpret and draw conclusions from limited to large amounts of data.
- Understanding of and experience with process development of multidisciplinary systems, including knowledge of optical, fluidics, microfluidics, electronics, and automation systems.
- Ability to work well as part of a fast paced cross functional team to achieve goals within defined target timeframes.
- Good note taking ability.
- Ability to execute and report on multifaceted experiments, not necessarily in field of expertise.
- Ability to multitask on projects with aggressive timelines.
- Strong work ethic with flexible schedule.
- Materials Science
- High resolution microscopy
Illumina believes that everyone has the ability to make an impact, and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to providing employment opportunity regardless of sex, race, creed, color, gender, religion, marital status, domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, pregnancy, military or veteran status, citizenship status, and genetic information. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. To learn more, visit: https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf