Position Description: Provide administrative support and program support for the general operations of the Solid Waste Department. Follow federal and state guidelines for the solid waste facilities.
* Perform a variety of administrative services: customer service (public, staff, outside agencies/customers) in person, by telephone or email; order office supplies; maintain department asset inventory and insurance schedules as needed, submit claims; calculate and prepare billing invoices for contractors, vendors, and public; process and maintain accounts payable/receivable; collect and process departmental deposits and receipt payments; reconcile cash drawers and accounts; coordinate scheduling of training events, certification requirements of department; maintain attendance record reporting, review timesheets for payroll entries to ensure uniform union contract and policy practices; train employees using electronic timesheet system.
* Assist with department records retention program.
* Assist with department work staff scheduling.
* Answer weigh scale and process tickets/payments; maintain and update scale software database as needed.
* Review and process junkyard/waste hauler licenses.
* Schedule inbound/outbound loads for department.
* Develop and maintain documents for solid waste related activities.
* Assist with intake and investigation of solid waste violations/complaints.
* Assist in solid waste/recycling education and outreach activities.
* Assist in request for proposals for recycling contracts and/or department purchases.
* Assist in completion of annual solid waste related reports.
* Calculate and prepare solid waste tax assessments for state.
* Assist in preparing and maintaining solid waste budget.
* Assist with departmental audits and reporting requirements.
* Assist with managing and implementing solid waste assessments and abatements for department.
* (Assist on an as needed basis)
Recycling Center/Transfer Station
* Assist in coordination of collection routes.
* Charge contractors and out of county users fees and issue receipts.
* Work with public by directing traffic to appropriate sites for disposal of waste.
* Communicate with the public, businesses, and recycling facility regarding pickups and deliveries.
* Household Hazardous Waste (HHW)
* Identify Household Hazardous Waste per regulatory compliance.
Facility and Equipment Maintenance
* Assist in keeping maintenance logs and records for equipment maintenance.
* Assist in building and grounds upkeep and cleaning.
* High school graduate or equivalent
* 2 years post-secondary education in administrative/clerical course work, bookkeeping, accounting or related field or 2 years relevant work experience, or equivalent combination (equate to 2 years)
* Valid driver's license and reliable means of transportation
* Currently possess Minnesota Pollution Control Agency (MPCA) Type III Solid Waste Facility Operator Certification or have ability to obtain within 6 months of hire
* Complete OSHA Hazardous Material (HAZMAT) training within 1 year of hi
* Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, Outlook) and automated systems relevant to the work performed
* County and departmental policies, procedures and practices
* Policies, procedures, rules, regulations, and operating practices applied in solid waste management
* Federal, state and local laws, rules and regulations relevant to the work performed
* Office, accounting and bookkeeping functions
* Hazardous waste identification and handling
* Recycling, construction and demolition waste, mixed solid waste functions
We are an EOE.