Deputy Managing Editor
Deputy Managing Editor
The Tribune-Review/TribLIVE.com is looking for a Deputy Managing Editor to oversee the day-to-day operations of its newsroom in Greensburg, Westmoreland County. The Trib is the dominant news organization in Westmoreland County, about 30 miles east of Pittsburgh.
We are seeking a seasoned newsroom manager with sound news judgment, strong editing skills and the ability to generate content for a daily newspaper and TribLIVE.com, the most visited news website in Western Pennsylvania.
The Tribune-Review has been named best overall newspaper by the Pennsylvania Society of Professional Journalists for three consecutive years.
As a leading news organization, we are seeking a passionate journalist with the vision to elevate our journalistic strategy. The Deputy Managing Editor will be someone who is enthusiastic, creative and passionate about local journalism. We are looking for an innovative journalist who finds it natural to collaborate with other editors and work within a culture of teamwork.
* At least 10 years of management experience in a leading news organization and a proven track-record of managing a team of journalists.
* Strong writing and editing skills, sound news judgment and the ability to identify news opportunities and trending issues.
* Experience planning daily news budgets, long-term projects and shepherding watchdog journalism.
* Excellent organizational skills and ability to multitask and shift gears without losing sight of details.
* Collaborative spirit and willingness to work with other newsroom leaders to find creative and compelling ways to tell impactful stories.
* Experience coaching and directing journalists.
* Outstanding interpersonal and problem-solving skills.
* Thorough understanding of news analytics, SEO principles, social media best practices and content management systems.
* While this is a dayside position, the deputy managing editor must be willing to work under emergency or breaking news conditions, sometimes on evenings, weekends and holidays.
Some of the responsibilities include:
* Day-to-day supervision and managing of reporters and news editors in the Westmoreland newsroom. This includes suggesting, assigning and developing stories and projects; prioritizing content across multiple platforms; overseeing news budgets.
* Working closely with the managing editor to set the editorial departments goals and strategy and to execute editorial projects such as coaching newsroom managers, training reporters and other staff members.
Trib Total Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages all qualified candidates to apply.