Family AdvocateHope Coalition
Looking to make a difference?
Hope Coalition is seeking a Family Advocate, 32 hours per week, to provide support to individuals & families who have experienced domestic abuse. Schedule would be day
hours, Friday/Saturday/Monday. Benefited, Hourly position.
Primary Location: Haven of Hope
Pay Rate $13.26 per hour
Position Summary (Primary Objectives of Position):
The purpose of this position is to provide resources/referral/support to individuals and families who have experienced domestic abuse and/or sexual assault. This includes safety planning for the individual and/or their children, as well as goal planning for these individuals including but not limited to: securing housing, employment, assistance in submission of order for protection. Support to these individuals and families involves increasing connections with community, providing encouragement and facilitating meaningful and respectful communication.
List of major tasks, duties and responsibilities of the position, and the percentage of time spend on each:
Provides crisis intervention, support, advocacy, and referral information to victims - in person or on the crisis line.
Maintains safety and security.
Accompanies women and their children to appointments that relate to services essential to their identified goals.
Advocates for women and their children with public agencies or entities.
Provides appropriate services either through connecting to resources within the HOPE Coalition or on a referral basis to outside agencies.
Assists clients with relevant paperwork and applications as needed.
Completes intakes and accompanying paperwork and provides ongoing case management with women and their children seeking services.
Conducts support groups or other client related meetings as required.
Provides support for survivors via deep and reflective listening.
Assists in filing reparations claims and other related documents.
Participates in implementation of activities for women and their children utilizing services.
Documents, tracks, and reports statistical information.
Community Outreach and Awareness
Presents to schools, service providers, and/or community members on topics related to domestic violence.
Develops and implement awareness campaigns.
Collaborates with area law enforcement, medical professionals, city and county attorneys, and other community agencies to increase victim-centeredness.
Administrative/Other Office Duties
Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Two-year post-secondary degree in related field; Bachelor's preferred
- Ability to network and develop community partnerships
- Ability to work well in a collaborative team environment with both internal and external partners
- Experience utilizing Microsoft Office and web based programs
- Ability to pass background check
- Valid driver's license
Knowledge and Skill Requirements:
- Knowledge of sexual assault, domestic violence, child abuse and homelessness
- Demonstrate ability to work with diverse populations (ie: elderly, race, gay/lesbian, differently abled, etc.)
- Ability to use a computer and standard office software with minimal instruction
- Demonstrated problems solving skills, including the ability to negotiate, collaborate and manage conflict
- Demonstrated ability to teach positive parenting skills and nonviolent parenting options
- Ability to work independently and as a team member
- Ability to support goals described in the mission, vision statements & strategic planning of HOPE Coalition
- Knowledge of local resources, agencies, and services
- Demonstrate clear written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work in a crisis oriented organization
- Ability to prioritize
- Understandings of confidentiality practices
- 2 years or more experience working with domestic violence victims/survivors
- Prior experience with non-profit organizations
- Proficient in Spanish
Minimal Physical Requirements:
- Ability to lift, carry, push and/or pull up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to file documents
- Ability to enter data into a computer
- Ability to use a telephone
- Ability to interact verbally and in writing with internal and external audiences\
- Attends and participates in staff meetings and required trainings
- Keeps appropriate records (work logs, timesheets, mileage, expenses, etc.)
- Understands and complies with agency policies
- Attends 15 hours of related training annually
This position description will be reviewed periodically and adjusted according to organization need.
HOPE Coalition is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer and will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.