Full Time Paid Summer Internship; Mid-May start through August, 2021
Happy Dancing Turtle (HDT) is a nonprofit, 501c3 homebased in Pine River, MN dedicated to growing good stewards of the planet by providing programs, education, and experiences for youth and adults that inspire wonder and empower change. HDT is hiring a grazing intern to work with multiple farmers and ranchers in the Brainerd/Pine River area to implement adaptive grazing management practices as part of the water quality focused, local foods initiative - Up the Creek Meats program.
The responsibilities of this full-time summer intern will include:
* Collect and record pasture condition and forage production data.
* Assist producers with planning paddock size/stocking density and rotation schedule.
* Assist producers with livestock management; temporary fencing, paddock moves and stockmanship.
* Facilitate discussion among farmers and ranchers to build local cohorts.
* Provide outreach and education to downstream consumers.
* Candidates must be enrolled in a post-secondary institution (minimum of part-time) or can document enrollment for the fall semester of 2021.
* Understanding of the soil health principles, basic knowledge of adaptive grazing management, animal husbandry/stockmanship, common forage plants and less desirable vegetation.
* Independent, self-motivated, working knowledge of Microsoft Office/Excel, good communication skills and be able to pass the organization's background check.
* Passion and interest in sustainable and resilient living are a plus.
Compensation: $12 per hour.