Gustavus Adolphus College invites applications for a full-time, exempt Executive Chef in Dining Service.
Gustavus Adolphus College is one of the nation’s leading private liberal arts colleges serving over 2,400 students. The College aspires to be a community of persons from diverse backgrounds who respect and affirm the dignity of all people. Known for its strong science, writing, music, athletics, study-away, and service-learning programs, Gustavus is located on a scenic 340-acre hill in St. Peter, Minnesota only one hour southwest of the Twin Cities.
The primary purpose of this position is to supervise and direct all food production employees in the Dining Service to include the following departments: Bakery, AM & PM Kitchen, Marketplace, Courtyard Cafe, The STEAMery, Banquets, and Assistant Chef/s, develop menus for all Dining Service and to collaborate in activities of the Store Room Clerk and Dining Service Supervisors as they relate to food production.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- In conjunction with the Assistant Director’s Office, the Executive Chef will select, train, evaluate and schedule all Dining Service food production employees.
- Prepares and directs preparation of Dining Service food items.
- Assists as needed in supervision of Marketplace, Courtyard Cafe, The STEAMery Banquets, and Catered events.
- Maintains neat, clean, professional appearance and pleasant demeanor for customers and acts as a positive role model for all Dining Service Staff.
- Provides valuable customer feedback to Assistant Director/s of Dining Service – Operations and Catering.
- Prepares food production schedules and foodstuff and equipment purchase orders in collaboration with the Purchasing Manager and Assistant Director’s Office.
- Demonstrates ability to manage a large production staff providing supervision, work direction, training, and support in an effective and professional manner. The Executive Chef will have excellent communication skills providing regular feedback and instruction.
- Demonstrates technical production skills which at times includes the use of appropriate math, reading, writing, and oral communication skills. Fluent use of all Dining Service production equipment and computerized production tools is required.
- Demonstrates ability to organize workloads and flexibility in altering staff work schedules to meet work goals designated by the Director’s Office.
- Demonstrates problem solving ability while collecting work related information and makes recommendations and adjustments for successful task completion.
- Demonstrates commitment to customer satisfaction by providing high quality products and services and appropriate communications. This position includes regular customer interaction in retail-like and fine dining settings.
- Demonstrates the ability to work in a team setting. This includes effective communication with staff members, student employees, and supervisors and the ability to try new methods and accept suggestions/direction for changes of procedure.
- Establishes and directs adherence to recipe standards and procedures.
- Maintains Certified Food Manager of the college status and works with other Certified Food Managers to establish safety and sanitation protocol and procedures.
- Reports equipment repair requests and equipment purchase requests.
- Performs other duties as assigned in support of the goals of the other Dining Service departments to ensure unified customer service and product quality.
- Assists other Dining Service departments as necessary to meet customer deadlines.
- All other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Advanced culinary arts training and certification, Associates Degree preferred.
- 10 years progressive chef experience including at least five years as Executive Chef.
- PC knowledge and familiarity with Windows-based software applications.
- 10 years restaurant, hotel, or institutional food service management experience.
- Extended periods of standing and walking.
- Quarry tile and ceramic floor material.
- Exposure to sharp instruments such as knives, slicers, and food choppers of various sizes.
- Exposure to and use of hot ovens, steam kettles, gas ranges, steam cookers, deep fryers, griddles and charbroilers.
- Exposure to and use of walk-in coolers and freezers and blast chillers.
- Moderate to high heat and humidity.
- Strenuous physical effort at times including lifting 50# or less.
- Exposure to cleaning and sanitizing agents.
- Exposure to computer keyboards and color monitors.
Gustavus Adolphus College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, disability, religion, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, or veteran status in its education or employment programs or activities.