Adventure Associate TeacherGrass Valley School District
Adventure Associate Teacher
Grass Valley School District
The Adventure & Service Program teaches students the character traits of Grass Valley Charter School through the use of outdoor Adventure & Service Learning experiences. This program is a key component to the character & culture of GVCS and includes all students, Pre-Kindergarten thru 8th grade. The character traits of GVCS are: Compassion, Courage, Crew, Self- Discipline, Integrity, Perseverance, Respect, Responsibility, and Spirit of Adventure & Stewardship.
Essential functions may include, but are not limited to the following:
1. Maintains a positive and helpful attitude with adults and children.
2. Coordinate with lead Adventure & Service Teacher
3. Design and lead adventure experiences including, but not limited to the following areas: Backpacking, Rafting, Sea Kayaking, Spelunking, Rock Climbing and Winter Travel. These outings frequently exceed the hours of a typical school day and at times, require overnight commitment.
4. Facilitate / teach pre and post trip preparation & reflection with students.
5. Support grade level science standards where aligned with Adventure Benchmark experiences.
6. Maintain and manage equipment.
7. Maintain a portfolio to document service, fieldwork and adventure activities.
8. Ensure that policies as defined in GVCS's risk Management Plan are adhered to at all times.
9. Communicate with families in person as well as in writing.
10. Provide all necessary paperwork for offsite experiences.
11. Coordinate and attend occasional meetings and special events.
12. Coordinate and / or lead service learning experiences.
13. Research resources for fieldwork and adventure as needed.
14. Foster community relationships in support of the service learning program.
15. Serves as a role model through appearance, attitude and proper use of English.
16. Maintains the same high level of ethical behavior and confidentiality of information about students as is expected of all employees.
17. Perform other duties as may be assigned or reasonably be expected.
Education And Experience
1. High School Diploma or Equivalent.
2. AA/BA Preferred
3. Experience in outdoor & adventure education.
4. Experience working with students.
Credentials and/or Skills And Abilities
1. A current Wilderness First Responder Certification or willingness to obtain.
2. Proven ability to manage risk while in the field.
3. Ability to work with students from Pre – Kindergarten thru 8th grade.
4. Flexibility, communication & organization.
5. Ability to exercise good judgment.
Certificate And Clearance Requirements
1. Valid CA Driver’s License.
2. Wilderness First Responder Certification.
3. TB Test (Current within last 4 years).
4. Criminal Justice Fingerprint Clearance.
We are an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, gender, age, veteran status, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status or disability (in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act) with respect to employment opportunities.