Staff Accountant in Reston, VAGovernment Scientific Source Inc, GSS
The Staff Accountant will be a highly motivated employee ready to join and learn in our accounting department.
The ideal candidate is an enthusiastic team player, a solution-oriented problem solver, and inquisitive. Enjoys working individually and in a team environment and will be able to communicate effectively with all levels of the company. The position offers an opportunity to gain experience in accounting by training and working in various areas, including fixed assets, tax return preparation, tax research, audits, reviews, and risk management. Superior organizational and multi-tasking abilities, an eye for detail, and the ability to meet deadlines are all essential.
Essential Functions: Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Obtain a good understanding of depreciation and Fixed Assets.
• Assist with the fixed asset system to ensure additions, disposals, impairments are accurately recorded and depreciated for book and tax.
• Ensure the accuracy of journal entries and general ledger.
• Answer accounting and financial questions by researching data and interpreting it accurately both within and outside of the department.
• Prepare personal property tax returns, monthly sales tax returns ensuring accuracy and timely filings.
• Respond to various company-wide sales and use tax questions, communicating effectively and fostering relationships with various internal departments regarding such.
• Prepare and respond to tax authorities for sales and use tax audits and other various correspondence.
• Prepare business licenses, sales tax registration and Secretary of State filing’s, ensuring accuracy and timely filings.
• Assist with preparing, providing, and maintaining resale certificates from customers and provide accurate resale certificates to vendors.
• Assist with the maintenance of the tax calendar, tax notice log, and carryover schedules.
• Be able to research tax issues and remain current and up to date on existing and upcoming tax laws.
• Audit internal tax compliance and prepare refund requests as necessary.
• Process year-end 1099s.
• Assist year-end audits when needed.
• Perform accounting functions as needed.
• Review and monitor various reports.
Supervisory Responsibility: This position has no direct supervisory responsibilities.
Required Education and Experience:
• Bachelor's degree, preferably in Accounting or related field, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• 1+ years of relevant accounting experience.
• 2+ years in a Microsoft Office environment with an emphasis on Excel.
Position Type: This is a full-time position.
Work Authorization: Must be eligible to work in the United States.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. This is largely a sedentary role; however, some filing is required. This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand on a stool as necessary.
Other Duties: Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job.
Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
AAP/EEO Statement: Government Scientific Source (“GSS”) is a covered federal contractor or subcontractor subject to the requirements of the Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA), as amended, and Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended. As such, GSS is bound by the terms of VEVRAA and Section 503, and shall not discriminate against individuals with disabilities, and is committed to taking affirmative action to employ and advance in employment protected veterans and individuals with disabilities. It is the policy of Government Scientific Source (“GSS”) to maintain a drug-free workplace and provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
GSS offers excellent benefits including health insurance, FSA/DCA, 100% company-paid life and disability insurance, 401(k), profit sharing, PTO, tuition reimbursement, flexible schedule, onsite fitness room and more!