Community News EditorGazette Community News
Do you value top-notch journalism and a newspaper's role in engaging readers while shaping the community conversation? Do you possess excellent writing, verbal and editing skills? Are you the type of leader who enjoys working with other journalists and a family of team-builders to produce quality print and digital products? Do you embrace the role of representing the newspaper in the community?
Gazette Media has an immediate opening for Editor of Pikes Peak Newspapers, a group of weekly newspapers serving El Paso and Teller Counties.
This is not an entry-level position. The successful candidate must have a demonstrated interest in local news and cultural affairs, possess excellent writing and verbal skills, experience editing reporters' and freelancer copy and other submitted materials. Must represent the newspaper in the community and know the value of and have experience with social media. Must have the ability to lead, motivate, and mentor a small staff as well as manage wide ranging group of freelancers.
We offer competitive pay and a comprehensive benefit package that includes medical, dental, vision, critical illness and accident insurance, life insurance, disability insurance, a 401k plan, identify theft, legal, pet insurance and paid holidays, vacation, sick, personal and volunteer time.
The Gazette Community News Editor oversees all editorial decisions, production processes and community engagement for the four GCN weekly newspapers. The Editor will plan, create, source, edit and promote content in print and digital formats, as well as communicate and coordinate content with GCN freelance and community contributors. In addition, the Editor will work closely with the GCN Graphic Designer and Gazette production staff in the weekly production process. The Editor will also continue to develop the GCN brand into a reputable, trustworthy news source for readers across the Pikes Peak region.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plan weekly story budgets for four weekly newspapers and develop quality, depth and breadth of content, as well as coordinate content and oversee production for GCN special sections and magazines. - -
- Ability to work well in a collaborative environment with reporters, columnists, designers, production staff and sales/advertising staff.
- Manage GCN Editorial Assistant, Courier Reporter and GCN Sports Reporter, developing each employee professionally and journalistically.
- Work closely with the GCN Graphic Designer to ensure appropriate formatting of layouts and design as well as timely content placement, proofing and publication upload.
- Recruit, train and plan assignments for freelance reporters, columnists and community contributors. -
- Manage monthly financial budgets for all four newspapers and oversee freelance invoicing.
- Be highly skilled at writing and editing, including stories, headlines, captions, news briefs, and teasers, as well as produce weekly editorials.
- Have a strong visual and typographic awareness, as well as spatial understanding when it comes to ad/editorial ratios and creating newspaper layouts.
- Process and respond to delivery requests, content submissions, story ideas and inquiries from readers in a timely manner.
- Innovate and brainstorm ideas for connecting GCN newspapers with their respective communities and readerships, including digital content growth and social media expansion.
- Serve as a liaison with Gazette newsroom reporters and editorial leadership.
- Represent GCN at community events and give presentations to local organizations.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Minimum Education & Work Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor's Degree in journalism or some related field; i.e. English, public relations, marketing.
- 3-5 years of writing/reporting/editing experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Fluent in InCopy and InDesign from the Adobe Creative Suite, as well as Microsoft Office.
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of AP Style.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills, including written and verbal interactions with freelancers, community contributors, readers and colleagues.
- Eagerness to produce quality newspapers and be part of a team.
- Strong eye for layout design and headline and caption writing.
- Interest in keeping up with local news and making sure GCN communities stay well informed.
- Strong strategic, conceptual skills and a working knowledge of the news industry.
- Ability to prioritize and manage work, adhering to critical deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disability to perform the essential functions.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; use hands and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderately noisy.