Supervisor - Accounts Receivable/Sponsorship/CashieringGaston College
Supervisor - Accounts Receivable/ Sponsorship/Cashiering
Open until filled - review of applications will begin 1/6/20
Assist the Controller in providing leadership and coordination of organization financial planning, accounts receivable, and cash receipts to include monitoring of business policies, procedures, and operations. Assist in directing the financial affairs of the organization and preparing financial analysis of operations, including interim and final financial statements with supporting schedules. Assist with and share responsibility for the organization's financial plans and policies, its accounting practices, the conduct of its relationships with other agencies and the financial community, the maintenance of its fiscal records, and the preparation of financial reports.
Supervise personnel in the following functions: Accounts Receivable, Sponsorship, and Cashiering Offices.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Supervise accounts receivable, sponsorship, and cashiering. Complete annual position appraisals. Review and approve timesheets. Maintain and coordinate sick and vacation schedules. Review and document procedures and monitor activity to assure compliance with procedures. Lead cross-training efforts to assure at least two staffers are trained to complete all tasks. Provide training, coaching, and access to seminars to enable staff to succeed in their current roles and to grow into new roles. Continually search for, identify, and implement process improvements to improve stakeholder experience, reduce processing time, and improve quality.
- Lead the accounts receivable billing and collection team to assure the following activities are completed in a timely manner: add and remove registration holds; print, review, and mail bills; call on delinquent account balances; submit student accounts to the collection agency; submit accounts to the State setoff debt program. Develop and submit monthly A/R reports to internal groups such as Continuing Education, Fire Training, and the Textile Technology Center. Support efforts to collect outstanding balances. Plan and coordinate the financial component of student registration periods. Participate on the registration planning committee to set dates and deadlines each term. Supervise completion of the Daily Cash Analysis (DCA) and bank deposits including working with bank reconciliation on error corrections, as needed.
- Supervise the maintenance of files and records, including automated recordkeeping systems; develop filing/recordkeeping systems and procedures; and ensure retrievability of files or records.
- Prepare IRS 1098T statements for mailing to all students annually by January 31 and file with IRS by filing deadline.
- Review accounting transactions to assure compliance with applicable state and federal laws as well as with the North Carolina Administrative Code, the North Carolina Community College System Accounting Procedures Manual, and the Board of Trustees' Policies and Procedures Manual. Work with a variety of agencies, other departments, and the public to research and communicate information, and resolve administrative issues. Handle complex or difficult situations encountered by staff, such as hostile or angry customers. Monitor College, county, state, and federal policies and regulations to identify changes, coordinating and implementing process changes required to maintain compliance. Monitor listserv activity, attend training sessions, and network with peers to identify changes and to develop best-practice responses.
- Assist the Controller in the year-end closing for Gaston College and Gaston College Foundation, prepare financial statements and State Treasurer's CAFR worksheets in compliance by the August deadline and complete financial statement footnotes by the September deadline. Assist with drafting the Management Discussion and Analysis (MD&A) narrative before the annual audit.
- Review and assist with the analysis of financial reports and general ledgers monthly. Prepare monthly adjusting entries. Investigate reasons for variances and possible corrective solutions.
- Maintain a high standard of professional and ethical practice in representing the College. Maintain confidentiality of sensitive and/or confidential information. Demonstrate a thorough knowledge of the field or discipline with continued adherence to professional accountability. Provide a high level of service to customers by establishing and maintaining effective working relationships and partnerships.
- Accept responsibility for managing situations and problems. Utilize independent judgment in problem-solving of complex issues. Work cooperatively with team members and colleagues, contributing positively and constructively to the achievement of team and College objectives. Adhere to the College's policies, procedures, and other established guidelines.
- Participate on various campus-wide committees representing the Finance Division.
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
MINIMUM EDUCATION QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor's degree in accounting from a regionally accredited institution required.
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE QUALIFICATIONS
- Three years of accounting experience required.
- One year of supervisory experience in accounting field required.
- Knowledge of finance, accounting, and working knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles required.
- Knowledge of automated financial and accounting reporting systems required.
- Experience with Ellucian software preferred.
- Ability to analyze financial data and prepare financial reports, statements and projections required.
- Professional written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills required.
- Ability to motivate teams to produce quality materials within tight timeframes and simultaneously manage several projects.
- Ability to participate in and facilitate group meetings required.
- Work requires willingness to work a flexible schedule; may require occasional weekend and/or evening work.
- Excellent computer skills including use of MS application software (e.g., Word and Excel) required.
- Generally works in a traditional climate controlled office environment and requires the ability to sit for extended periods.
- Some walking, standing, and bending required, with the ability to lift and maneuver items weighing up to 25 pounds.
- Work environment can be stressful at times in dealing with a wide variety of challenges and deadlines.
- In addition to regular office hours, position sometimes requires overtime and/or evening hours.