Human Resources Assistant
The Human Resources Assistant will be responsible for greeting and directing visitors, while maintaining excellent customer service at all times and providing administrative support for the Human Resources Department. Reports to the Director-Human Resources.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform various administrative duties such as typing, filing, photocopying, and fulfilling requests for telephone directories, etc. Monitor the department photocopying machine, assist with maintaining photocopying supplies, and coordinate any maintenance or repairs. Open and distribute incoming mail and process outgoing mail. Maintain departmental bulletin boards and post notices at various locations in the administration building as required. May handle sensitive and confidential information.
- Greet and direct visitors including initial contact for visitors to President’s Office. Maintain visitor log. Become familiar with the College’s academic calendar and proactively stay abreast of various College-related events, course offerings, etc. to assist, answer inquiries from, and guide students, faculty, staff, and the public.
- Organize, archive, and file documents, digitize documents, assess scanning quality, ensure documents are legible, assist with retrieving documents, and ensure paper documents are filed accurately and appropriately.
- Assist with the administrative aspects of creating employment-related files. May conduct references as requested, perform criminal background checks, and administer DHS clearance for new hires and rehires.
- Assist with the administration of the SACS compliance process including the collecting and verifying of transcripts/credentials, scanning documents, and securing appropriate signatures.
- Update personnel information including mailing addresses, email addresses, phone numbers, etc., as needed. Prepare and maintain employee-related directories such as the Employee Directory and the Telephone “Quick-find” listing. Maintains and updates the Faculty & Staff Directory of the academic catalog and the Gaston College website. Prepare birthday listings monthly and send via campus email before the start of the applicable month. Assist the Human Resources Department with various event-related activities.
- Maintain a professional image, including a professional work environment, at all times (e.g., reception desk, lobby, and other areas associated with the Human Resources Department). Perform other related duties incidental to the work herein described.
- Maintain a high standard of professional and ethical practice in representing the College. Maintain confidentiality of human resources information and employee records. Demonstrate a thorough knowledge of the field or discipline with continued adherence to professional accountability. Provide a high level of service to customers by establishing and maintaining effective working relationships and partnerships. Accept responsibility for managing situations and problems. Work cooperatively with team members and colleagues, contributing positively and constructively to the achievement of team and College objectives. Adhere to the College’s policies, procedures, and other established guidelines. Perform other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM EDUCATION QUALIFICATIONS:
- High school diploma or GED/HSE plus two years’ clerical experience or Associate degree from a nationally accredited institution in office systems technology, office administration, secretarial science, or a related field required.
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE QUALIFICATIONS:
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.) required.
- Working knowledge of operating standard office equipment and related tools and technology required.
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills required.
- Strong organization skills and demonstrated ability to handle multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment required.
- Experience in human resources preferred.
- Experience in an educational environment preferred.
- Demonstrated competencies through internal testing required.