Special Education Teacher
This position is eligible for our comprehensive benefits plan, which includes medical, dental, retirement, optional life insurance, optional disability coverage and more. For detailed information please see our website at www.fdlrez.com. Go to programs/staff benefits.
Location: Fond du Lac Ojibwe School
Supervisor: Building Principal
Closing Date: May 7, 2021
Rate of Pay/Range of Pay: $32,000.00 - $55, 803.00 per year
GENERAL SUMMARY: The Special Education teacher will work directly with students who have been identified with a disability and follow the student's Individualized Education Plan consistent with all described goals and objectives. The teacher will also work with other personnel as identified to review and update the IEP as necessary. The teacher will work cooperatively with all staff, agencies, and other personnel for the specific purpose of providing direct services to students in their case work load.
* Works in conjunction with the child study team to determine specific learning problems, skills deficiencies, or social adjustment difficulties of students and initiates remediation programs in these areas.
* Provides students with tutoring for other classes as appropriate.
* Evaluates each student to terms of initial needs and progress toward.
* Prepares progress reports and IEP summary evaluations, administering pretests and post-tests as appropriate and necessary.
* Makes available a wide range of teaching materials and equipment, including reading materials at many levels, instructional games, resource materials, and the like.
* Counsel's students in identifying and dealing with their academic problems.
* Provides opportunities for students to explore life and career goals.
* Establishes and maintains standards of individual student behavior in the resource room.
* Works closely with other teachers to help the students maintain satisfactory class work, homework, and behavior.
* Helps parents to understand the specific problems of educationally handicapped students and the goals and operations of the program, apprising them of problems and progress.
* Participates in selection and evaluation of students for admission to the program of education for each student.
* Maintains special education records in accordance with Tribal, state, and federal guidelines.
* Participates in curriculum and other department programs.
* Participates in faculty committees and the sponsorship of student activities.
* Maintains professional competence through training educational activities provided by the school and in self-selected professional growth activities.
* Complies with all School policies and administrative rules and directives.
* Evaluates, selects, and requisitions books, instructional aides, equipment, and instructional supplies and maintains required inventory records.
* Communicates with parents and school counselor on pupil progress.
* Assists the administration in implementing all policies and rules governing student life and conduct, and, for the classroom, develops reasonable rules of classroom behavior and procedure, and maintains order in the classroom in a fair and just manner.
* Identifies pupil needs, and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials, and facilities.
* Takes all necessary rand reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials, and facilities.
* Displays a responsive and professional manner in promptly responding to all requests, complaints, and problems.
* Recognizes that each employee is a representative of the Fond du Lac Band of Lake Superior Chippewa and is responsible for demonstrating courtesy, respect, and sensitivity to the needs of all others, including visitors and co-workers.
* Represents the Fond du Lac Band of Lake Superior Chippewa and the department in a positive and professional manner in the community.
* Required to maintain proper attendance including reporting to work on time in accordance with applicable policies.
* Maintains a clean and organized work area.
* Due to changes and modifications in the job from time to time, employees are required to be flexible and assume other responsibilities assigned by management as deemed necessary.
* Holds necessary state certification for job assignment.
* Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing is required.
* Ability to work independently and establish priorities is required.
* Attention to detail and accuracy is required.
* Ability to establish professional and harmonious working relationships on all projects and with all parties involved.
* Subject to drug and alcohol testing in accordance with the Fond du Lac Reservation's Personnel Policies.
* Subject to pre-employment and annual background checks.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Normal physical requirements.
Native American Preference