Maintainer I – Day and Evening shifts available.
General Statement of Duties and Responsibilities: Performs general custodial work in connection with the cleaning and maintenance of a building or group of buildings and grounds; performs related work as required.
Qualifications Required at Hire (List of knowledge, skills, and abilities):
1. Performs general custodial work in connection with the cleaning and maintenance of a building or group of buildings and grounds; performs related work as required.
2. Cleans offices, rooms, lounges, bathrooms, corridors and other spaces of the University campus.
3. Cleans, waxes, polishes and buffs floors.
4. Empties and cleans waste barrels, garbage cans and other waste and trash receptacles.
5. Washes windows, woodwork, toilets, lavatories, washrooms and fixtures; dusts and polishes furniture.
6. Operates cleaning equipment such as vacuums, buffers, floor cleaning machines, carpet scrubbers, snow blowers, etc.
7. Handles materials/equipment/supplies arriving at or departing from building; moves furniture as required.
8. Locks and unlocks premises and performs other similar security tasks.
9. Sweeps and cleans walks, rakes leaves, shovels snow, and generally assists in keeping immediately adjacent outside premises in an orderly condition.
10. Makes simple, general repairs.
11. Stands and walks for prolonged periods of time; lifts and carries heavy objects weighing up to 50 pounds; works outdoors in all types of weather; may work varied shifts, weekends, holidays or nights; is exposed to the hazard of wet, slippery floors; is exposed to the hazards of housekeeping chemicals, noxious fumes and dust. Sometimes works from ladders and scaffolds.
12. Performs other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Minimum Entrance Requirements:
1. Considerable knowledge of the materials, equipment, and methods commonly employed in housekeeping, cleaning operations; working knowledge of simple maintenance work.
2. Ability to operate and care for electronic sweepers, vacuums, mop wringers, brushes, buffers, snow blowers, and other household cleaning and ground care equipment.
3. Ability to make general repairs of a simple nature.
4. Physical ability to withstand strain of performing manual tasks.
5. Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
6. Ability to stand or walk for prolonged periods of time.
7. Ability to lift and carry heavy objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
8. Ability to climb and work on ladders and scaffolds.
9. Working knowledge of the type, properties, quality and uses of cleaning supplies and equipment and
their effect on the various types of construction and finishes.
10. Ability to understand and apply the laws, rules, regulations, policies, procedures, specifications,
standards and guidelines governing assigned unit activities.
11. Ability to establish and maintain harmonious working relationships with others.
12. Ability to perform duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
13. Must be able to satisfactorily pass a check conducted by the Criminal History Systems Board (CORI)
as well as a completed background check satisfactory to the university.