Library Public Services Manager
Position Title Library Public Services Manager
Requisition Number 20122087
Type of Employment Full-Time Regular
Number Of Months 12
Months Employed June to May
Number of Hours per Day/Week 40 hours/week
Daily Hours Monday-Friday 8am-5pm
Summary of Position
This position provides leadership and oversight of the Library Public Services department. The Library Public Services Manager is part of a collaborative environment with responsibility for policies, procedures, staffing, and services related to making library materials available. Individuals in this position serve on the library leadership team bringing voice and perspective from the department to set the overall direction of Belk Library’s role in the life of the University.
- Leads the Library Public Services department in long-range planning, problem-solving, and assessment in concordance with the Dean of the Library. Compiles and prepares reports and statistics to support these goals.
- Supervises, mentors, and evaluates the personnel of the Library Public Services department including staff responsible for Interlibrary Loan, Reserves, and the Library Service Desk. Manages the scheduling of evening, late night, and weekend library specialists at the service desk.
- Manages and hires library student employees. Ensures student assistants are performing daily tasks and providing appropriate levels of customer service efficiently through various training methods, verbal coaching, and evaluation. Provides leadership through a developmental and outcomes-focused approach to student employment. Assists in planning and implementing student employment practices designed for high impact and inclusion. Manages the scheduling of student coverage at the service desk.
- Provides oversight for the library service desk and interacts daily with library patrons providing consistent, professional, and courteous service including answering directional, technical, and research questions at the service desk from Elon students, faculty, staff, and the general public. Point person for staffing service desk during weather related changes to normal operational schedule and must be flexible enough to fill in when necessary.
- Maintains accurate patron records for both the University members and community users. Manages billing and overdue disputes, and general lending inquiries. Coordinates the receipt and processing of library fees and manages the overdue notice system and the daily billing of overdue and lost materials.
- Organizes stacks maintenance, including reshelving, shelf-reading, and shifting of material, and participates in library-wide projects such as collection inventory.
- Is an active participant on the library leadership team and assists in the development, implementation, and assessment of strategic plans, policies, and operations in collaboration with team members.
- Provides leadership in library staff meetings, committees, and initiatives, and promotes effective communication among library staff.
- Builds diversity competence by actively supporting an inclusive climate within Belk Library and the University community.
- Participates in professional development, the activities of regional, statewide, and/or national professional associations and University governance activities as appropriate for exempt staff.
- Serves as the Library’s point of contact for administrative departments that align with this position, such as the Bursar’s Office, Campus Security and Police, and Student Employment.
- Engages in the broader life of the Elon University community to support deeper integration of Belk Library into the life of the campus through appropriate committee work, support of student/faculty events, and/or service activities.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
A bachelor’s degree plus demonstrated relevant supervisory experience.
Supervisory Experience Detail
2 or more years supervising a team providing direct customer service.
Special Skills or Experience
The successful candidate will demonstrate high attention to detail, outstanding communication skills (interpersonal, written, and oral), and the ability to effectively manage multiple priorities.
The successful candidate will be committed to working in a collaborative library environment, and eager to participate in the daily life of a liberal arts university community.
Position will remain open until February 7, 2022