PURPOSE OF POSITION:
Under the direction of the Policy, Research and Outreach Director, the Policy Research and Outreach Office Assistant provides a full range of administrative and office support services to the Education Minnesota Policy Research and Outreach Department. This position provides direct support to professional staff within the department as well as program coordination instrumental in promoting education issues, organizing and negotiations, and their significance to the mission of Education Minnesota.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide administrative and secretarial support to department staff, the Education Minnesota Foundation, Foundation Board and committees as assigned.
- Research and preparation of reports, presentations and materials to support the initiatives of the department. These include but are not limited to: tabulating surveys, compiling conference evaluations, reports, attending and recording meeting minutes when necessary, and coordinating the design, printing and mailing of various projects.
- Provide administrative support in the coordination of Education Minnesota events or programs as assigned.
- Maintain multiple databases.
- Assist with overall organization and day-to-day functions of the department.
- Participate in projects, duties, and other administrative tasks assigned by management
- Other duties of a like or similar nature and the associated responsibilities as assigned by the department director.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Ability to coordinate and administer functions of an office environment.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Access, Excel, Word, PowerPoint software.
- Proficiency in setting up and assisting with Web meeting technology.
- Ability to monitor expense reports.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with Education Minnesota members, staff, associates, affiliates, and the general public.
- Good communication, telephone, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to carry out directives, follow through on projects, administer programs, and make decisions as required.
- Ability to use good judgment when making decisions.
- Ability to organize, prioritize, anticipate program needs and work independently in accomplishing objectives, goals, and meeting numerous deadlines.
- Good record-keeping, spelling, grammar, and reading skills.
- Ability to perform multiple functions simultaneously and meet critical deadlines.
- Ability to understand and effectively carry out complex verbal and written directions.
- HS diploma or equivalent,
- One (1) year office administrative support experience,
- Two (2) years proficiency at an intermediate level in MS Office Applications with emphasis on: Access, Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- One (1) year experience working for a foundation.
- Associate’s degree in business or related field preferred.
- Prior work experience working with or on behalf of a unionized workforce.
- Understanding of anti-racist practice and/or cultural competence.
- Education Minnesota leaders and members
- Education Minnesota, AFL-CIO, AFT & NEA staff
- Governmental agencies and officials
- School district personnel
- Community and civic leaders
- General public
Work is in a general office environment. Employee is required to: talk and hear; frequently stand, walk and repetitively use hands dexterously (use fingers to handle, feel), reach with hands and arms, bend and physically, lift and carry up to 10 pounds; occasionally lift up to 50 pounds and infrequently travel by various conveyances (e.g., air, rail, auto).
Maintain confidential information related to the organization and all personnel employees and staff.
Some travel, evening and weekend work required.
EDUCATION MINNESOTA IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Education Minnesota is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where diversity is valued, supported and celebrated to benefit applicants, employees, members and students. All employment decisions are based on qualifications; merit and business need with preference given to people of color.
POSTING DEADLINE: For consideration, apply online and include a resume no later than midnight of Tuesday, July 21, 2020.