Education Issues Specialist #2020-32
POSITION TITLE: Education Issues Specialist (Job #2020-32)
DEPARTMENT: Policy & Public Affairs
SUPERVISOR: Professional Practice Manager
LOCATION: Headquarters – St. Paul
HOURS/STATUS: Full Time / Exempt
EMPLOYEE GROUP: TEMPO
Develop and coordinate member-led professional development programs for educators, support the effective use of best practices in adult learning, create new, on-going professional development opportunities for early career educators and help focus union programming on educators’ needs within their first ten years working in schools.
MAJOR FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop and coordinate the Minnesota Educator Academy professional development program
- Train members on best practices in adult learning and delivering relicensure courses
- Deliver professional development to educators across the state on a variety of issues
- Create high quality adult learning opportunities using a racial equity lens
- Develop new, ongoing and/or online professional development opportunities
- Engage Education Minnesota members on professional and education issues
- Coordinate a multi-faceted professional development program that involves trainer assignments and communication, interfacing with staff and local leaders, and support staff
- Other duties as assigned
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Strong background knowledge in the importance of labor unions in improving public education
- Strong presentation and communication skills
- Ability to work independently, plan, and meet deadlines
- Knowledge of and background in anti-racist or cultural competence curricula or tools such as Beyond Diversity, Center for Culturally Responsive Teaching, Intercultural Development Index, etc.
- Experience or in-depth study of best practices in adult learning
- Knowledge and experience working with online learning management systems
- B.A. in education or related field OR a combination of 2 of the following: 10 years experience working in a school setting; 2+ years delivering professional development, demonstrated course work and expertise in adult learning
- Ability to work evenings and weekends
- Valid Minnesota driver’s license
- Knowledge of and commitment to the cause of employee unions
- Background in delivering adult learning and/or professional development to educators
- Understanding of education issues, political and legislative landscape in Minnesota
- Masters in Education or related field
Work is in a general office environment. Employee is required to: talk and hear; have clear vision with or without corrective lenses, frequently stand, walk and repetitively use hands dexterously (use fingers to handle, feel), reach with hands and arms, bend and physically lift and carry up to 10 pounds; occasionally lift up to 25 pounds and infrequently travel by various conveyances (e.g., air, rail, auto).
- Some after-hours work (evenings and weekends) and occasional travel with overnight stays may be required.
- Maintain confidential information as applicable.
- Able to successfully pass a post offer pre-employment background check.
EDUCATION MINNESOTA IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Education Minnesota is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where diversity is valued, supported and celebrated to benefit applicants, employees, members and students. All employment decisions are based on qualifications; merit and business need with preference given to people of color.
POSTING DEADLINE: For best consideration, apply online and include a resume. Posting is open until midnight of Monday, September 28, 2020.