Edison Police Department
Township of Edison
The Edison Township Police Department located in Middlesex County is now accepting resumes/applications for the position of Class III Special Police Officer. The Class III Special Police Officer will work under the direction of the Chief of Police. Class III Special Police Officers will be assigned to various schools within Edison Township where they will perform school safety and security details.
Prospective SLEO III Applicants must meet the following criteria:
1. Must be a retired police officer who has previously served as a duly qualified, fully trained, full-time police officer in any municipality or county in N.J., or as a member of the New Jersey State Police, State or County Corrections officer, State Juvenile Corrections officer, or Juvenile Detention officer; or any other duly qualified, fully trained, full time law enforcement officer who had full arrest powers and must be living in N.J.
2. Must be retired from that agency in good standing within five years of appointment to this position. (Necessary to have a letter of good standing issued by the agency from which the officer retired, listing the date and type of retirement.)
3. Must be of good moral character and must not have been convicted of any offense involving dishonesty as would make the applicant unfit to perform his or her duties.
4. Must be less than 65 years of age for appointment.
5. Must be able to read, write and speak the English language well and intelligently.
6. Must possess a valid New Jersey drivers license by date of appointment.
7. Must successfully pass a background investigation.
8. Any applicant offered a conditional offer of employment will be required to pass a medical exam, psychological evaluation and drug screening.
9. Must be physically capable of passing firearms qualifications as mandated by the N.J. Attorney General guidelines.