Sign Language Coordinator
Dona Ana Community College (DACC) is a comprehensive, learning-centered community college dedicated to a diverse population of learners in support of student success, workforce and economic development and lifelong learning. Established in 1973 at the request of the Gadsden, Hatch and Las Cruces school boards, DACC continues to meet the educational needs of county residents by providing instruction leading to associate degrees and technical certificates as well as community and adult education opportunities. As the second largest community college in the state, DACC offers accessible and affordable higher education opportunities to more than 18,000 students annually with eight learning sites county-wide. As part of New Mexico State University, DACC is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- The Sign Language Interpreter Coordinator will develop and coordinate all American Sign Language interpreting within Dona Ana Community College.
- This individual will work with credit and non-credit students who are either deaf/hard of hearing to identify their needs and come up with an action plan to ensure equal access within our institution. This individual will also be asked to interpret for students at DACC.
- This position will also help with conducting the on-boarding of students within the Student Accessibility Services (SAS) office as well as assisting the individual ASL interpreters with their invoices as needed and setting up contracts for new ASL individual interpreters.
- This position will also assist the SAS office as needed and will have other duties assigned.
- Works with faculty, staff, and students to ensure that Deaf and hard of hearing persons have equal access to all programs and services offered at NMSU.
- Coordinates interpreter services (hiring/firing/supervising), and oversees all academic accommodation offered to Deaf and hard of hearing students.
- Also provides interpreting services for classes, meetings, and other workshops or events offered by NMSU.
Classification Standard Duties
- Coordinate Interpreter Services.
- One on one tutoring and text interpreting.
- Assist and advocate students using Univ. systems Staff interpret for Deaf students, faculty, staff or visitors.
- Create, revise, update and oversee policies/procedures for providing interpreting services.
- Knowledge of campus support organizations.
- Knowledge of compensatory study skill techniques. Knowledge of patient evaluation and triage procedures.
- Skill in preparing and maintaining patient records.
- Ability to communicate with and instruct students with learning disabilities.
- Ability to develop and apply communication strategies for the conveyance of instructional material to learning disabled students.
- Ability to develop and deliver presentations.
- Ability to investigate and analyze information and draw conclusions.
- Ability to observe, assess, and record symptoms, reactions, and progress.
- Ability to use independent judgment and to manage and impart confidential information.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field.
- Three (3) years of experience related to the standard duties as outlined.
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university in American Sign Language.
Previous experience working in an educational setting.
RID CI or CT Certification and/or NMQA Level 4