Pulse & Grain Buyer - Jamestown
Columbia Grain International, LLC. is a long time established full-service grain company in the grain and pulses business.
The employees at Columbia Grain, at all levels of our organization, represent some of the most experienced and knowledgeable in the industry. We are proud of our ability to attract and maintain talented, efficient, long term, community minded employees who can develop lasting relationships with producers and customers both domestic and around the world.
The Pulse and Grain Buyer is primarily responsible for procuring (negotiating, buying) and contract management for pulses and grains from local farmers. This includes assurance that procurement is done to maximize returns while maintaining competitive pricing, managing transactions to follow Columbia Grain and customer risk management strategies, ensuring locations do not run out of product, and establishing long-term relationships with suppliers. The Pulse and Grain Buyer will work with the other members of the team to work toward operational goals while maintaining quality and efficiencies.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
* Responsible for procurement, contracting and transportation of pulses, grain and other products.
* Oversee shipments and logistics that may include off site storage at other locations.
* Purchase products for any of the regional locations based on supply and demand.
* Develop arbitrage/merchandising opportunities for grain.
* Analyze local supply/demand, competition, crop and market conditions to buy grain at optimum price levels.
* Gather market intelligence on competitor activities and share with pulse and grain team.
* Support the processing facilities managers to ensure they have the product they need to operate.
* Assist with sampling, weighing, and contract settlements as necessary.
* Other duties assigned
Skills, Knowledge, Education and Experience
* Bachelor's degree in Agriculture or Business-related or 2-5 year's industry experience.
* Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
* Knowledge of fundamental and technical market drivers pertaining to pulses and grains.
* High attention to detail and ability to multi-task are essential.
* Ability to read and interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
* Strong interpersonal skills; ability to interact with all levels of management.
* Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
* Ability to be flexible and adaptive to successfully achieve the function of the position.
* Proficient in Microsoft Office, ability to calculate figures and divide in units of measure (BU, ST, MT and CWT) using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
* Good work ethic (team environment, both safe and quality), efficient and willingness to perform all required
work with good attendance.
* Comprehensive Health, Dental, and RX benefits
* Company paid Life Insurance and Disability
* Flexible Spending Plans
* Employee Assistance Program
* 401K Retirement savings plan
* Paid Holidays, Vacation and Sick leave
Successful completion of initial and ongoing employment screens, including but not limited to criminal background and vehicle record as required.
Columbia Grain is an Equal Opportunity Employer