Battalion Fire Chief of Training
The purpose of this job description document is to establish a guideline for identifying the duties and responsibilities of the Battalion Chief of Training. The duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to this rank.
The Battalion Chief of Training supervises:
• Safety & Training Officers
• Recruit Coordinator
The Battalion Chief of Training is subordinate to the Assistant Chief of Training.
Examples of Duties
The Battalion Chief of Training will oversee the Training Branch including budget, planning, and inventory. Will coordinate incumbent and recruit training. Will coordinate the New Hire Process. Attends training related meetings; attends and participates in training and safety related committees; attends seminars, and conferences and training programs to update knowledge. Will identify goals and objectives of the Training Branch. Will manage Vector VMS (Target Solutions), and the Delivery Agency through the Office of State Fire Marshal (OSFM).
1. Four-year degree from an accredited college or university
2. Eight or more years' experience in a career municipal department with three years at the rank of Captain or above
3. Certificates of completion for NIMS 100, 200, 700 and 800, and ICS 300 and 400
4. Certified firefighter IFSAC or ProBoard
5. NC Instructor Level II (external candidates must show equivalent and ability to obtain within a designated time)
6. NC EMT (external candidates must show equivalent and ability to obtain within a designated time)
7. Possession of, or ability to possess a NC Class B Driver License
8. Candidate must submit to a thorough driving and criminal background investigation
9. Candidate must establish residency within 30 air miles of City Hall within 180 days of hire
1. Completion of National Fire Academy's Executive Officer Program
2. Working knowledge of community college system
3. Fire Officer III
Must maintain a good physical condition and shall be able to pass department medical examinations as prescribed by NFPA 1582, and all other department fitness requirements.