Water Operator II
Water Operator II
SALARY: $23.59 Hourly, $49,067.20 Annually
OPENING DATE: 09/10/21
CLOSING DATE: 10/10/21 05:00 PM
Adventurers wanted! The City of Wentzville is seeking a Full Time Water Operator II. This position performs routine maintenance and repairs to the city’s water distribution system in order to ensure efficient daily operations.
The City was named to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch 2019 and 2020 Top Workplaces list. This list is based solely on employee feedback gathered through a third-party survey, which measures several aspects of workplace culture, including how employees feel about pay, benefits, managers and leadership – just to name a few. The City offers excellent benefits including health, vision, dental, employer-paid life insurance, long-term disability, a retirement pension, 12 holidays, 2 floating holidays, vacation time, sick time, tuition reimbursement, employee assistance, a free recreation center membership and much more! Current employees note that working for the City of Wentzville offers great opportunity for growth. The people are truly amazing, the benefits speak for themselves and there's always room for advancement. Are you ready for an adventure? Complete an application for the opportunity to join our team!
ESSENTIAL & ANCILLARY JOB DUTIES:
Essential Job Duties
- Oversee routine maintenance, repairs of main breaks and service leaks, and installation of waterline projects.
- Handle emergency main break leaks and repairs; repair failed distribution infrastructure and inspect and repair adjacent segments.
- Complete service inspections and maintenance; inspect new service installs ensuring compliance with DNR regulations and city standards.
- Perform locates in order to protect utilities and to provide help/information for customers.
- Read meters once a month and perform re-reads in order to ensure accuracy of water usage.
- Handle customer concerns and complaints and resolve any possible problems.
- Perform daily service tickets such as occupant changes, meter shut off, and meter turn on.
- Oversee installation of new meters and change out meters that are more than ten years old or not working properly.
- Monitor inventory and order more supplies as needed.
Ancillary Job Duties
- Participate in on-call rotation requiring a response time of 30 minutes or less.
- Respond to winter storm operations on a 24-hour call basis as required; plow snow and spread salt as needed to clear streets.
- Perform other related duties as assigned
JOB QUALIFICATIONS & KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Job Qualifications – Education, experience, and training that are required or desirable in order to effectively perform the job at the time of hire. An equivalent combination of education, training, and experience will be considered. Additional requirements and/or substitutions may be requested and require the approval of HR.
- Minimum of one year of related utilities experience required.
- Valid Class B CDL with airbrakes and tanker endorsement within 120 days of employment required. A valid driver’s license is required upon hire.
- Certification Water Distribution DS-II testing within 120 days of employment required.
- Electrofusion LDC Certification desired.
- High school diploma or equivalent desired.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities – May be representative, but not all-inclusive, of those knowledge, skills, and abilities commonly associated with this position.
- Knowledge of HDPE pipes and fittings.
- Proficiency in use of basic business software (word processing, spreadsheets, email, presentations) and basic office equipment.
- Attention to detail and the ability to maintain concentrated focus.
- Ability to communicate verbally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with coworkers.
- Ability to understand and carry out written and oral instructions.
- Regular attendance is a necessary and essential job duty.
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL ABILITIES:
Work Environment – Environmental or atmospheric conditions commonly associated with the performance of the duties of this job.
- Primarily an outdoor work environment.
- May be exposed to loud noises from equipment.
- Occasionally exposed to varying, inclement weather; may be exposed to wet, humid, hot, and/or cold conditions.
- Occasionally required to work in hazardous traffic conditions and near moving mechanical parts.
- Occasionally required to wear protective gear in order to limit exposure to sewage, dust, chemicals, gases, and other toxic substances or conditions.
Physical Abilities – The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential duties of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential duties.
- Work may require frequent standing, walking, climbing, bending, and must be able to lift and carry up to 80 pounds.
- Must be able to speak and hear clearly.
- Must be able to have repetitive wrist, hand, and/or finger movement.
- Must have finger dexterity and hand-eye coordination.
- Must have clarity of vision and the ability to adjust focus.
The City of Wentzville is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The City does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, or any other legally protected status. The City of Wentzville makes every effort to fully comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer. The City of Wentzville is a drug and alcohol free work place. A pre-employment drug screen is required for all positions. The City of Wentzville participates in E-Verify.
APPLICATIONS MAY BE FILED ONLINE AT:
1001 Schroeder Creek Blvd Wentzville, MO 63385