Supervisor Recreation - Special Events
Supervisor Recreation - Special Events
Salary: $53,290.00 - $63,586.00 Annually
Location: City Hall, 1001 Schroeder Creek Blvd. Wentzville
Job Type: Full-time
Department: PARKS & RECREATION
Job Number: 00513
Closing: 11/6/2020 5:00 PM Central
Adventurers wanted! The City of Wentzville is seeking a full time Supervisor Recreation - Special Events. Performs professional work in the development, administration, and evaluation of a wide range of special events. Oversees the management and administrative functions related to the recruitment, selection, and training of volunteers. Directs and evaluates part-time and seasonal program staff, volunteers, contracted instructors, and program participants while providing technical assistance to the Superintendent Recreation.
The City was recently named to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch 2020 Top Workplaces list. This list is based solely on employee feedback gathered through a third-party survey, which measures several aspects of workplace culture, including how employees feel about pay, benefits, managers and leadership – just to name a few. The City offers excellent benefits including health, vision, dental, employer-paid life insurance, long-term disability, a retirement pension, 12 holidays, 2 floating holidays, vacation time, sick time, tuition reimbursement, employee assistance, a free recreation center membership and much more! Current employees note that working for the City of Wentzville offers great opportunity for growth. The people are truly amazing, the benefits speak for themselves and there's always room for advancement. Are you ready for an adventure? Complete an application for the opportunity to join our team!
For priority consideration, submit application by 10/19/2020.
Essential & Ancillary Job Duties
Essential Job Duties
- Plan, coordinate, and stage special events, festivals, concerts, and related activities; serve as a liaison to events produced by the department.
- Supervise part-time, temporary, and volunteer staff; direct and evaluate work activities, participate in the hiring and promotion process, and conduct orientation and training.
- Assist with administrative duties such as recordkeeping, preparing reports, purchasing, scheduling, and make recommendations for capital purchases and projects.
- Coordinate services, materials, and supports systems needed from other agencies and city departments.
- Develop and manage an active base of ongoing and episodic volunteers; conduct screening and interviews to assure proper volunteer placement and develop and facilitate volunteer training programs.
- Develop affiliations with nonprofit organizations, local businesses, schools, churches, civic organizations, and other government entities.
- Negotiate, supervise, and monitor contracts for service providers in order to ensure compliance with applicable safety and quality standards.
- Solicit potential sponsors for city-wide special events and distribute sponsor packets that are designed for each event.
- Attend and participate in professional group meetings; maintain awareness of new trends and developments in the field/industry and incorporate new developments as appropriate into programs.
- Respond and resolve citizen inquiries and complaints related to city services while performing work in the field.
- Respond to emergency related issues and on-call situations.
Ancillary Job Duties
- Relieve superiors of routine administrative tasks as needed.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Job Qualifications & Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Job Qualifications - Education, experience and training that are required or desirable in order to effectively perform the job at the time of hire. An equivalent combination of education, training and experience will be considered. Additional requirements and/or substitutions may be requested and require the approval of HR.
- Bachelor's degree in Recreation, Business Administration, or a related field required.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in event management including one (1) year of supervisory experience required.
- Valid driver's license required
- First Aid and CPR certification required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities – May be representative, but not all-inclusive, of those knowledge, skills and abilities commonly associated with this position.
- Proficiency in use of basic business software (word processing, spreadsheets, email, presentations) and basic office equipment.
- Knowledge of planning, administration, organization, scheduling, coordination, and promotional activities related to the staging of special events, concerts, festivals, and related activities.
- Functional knowledge of program budgeting, financial management, and volunteer administration.
- Basic knowledge of recruitment and management of volunteers, sponsors, and vendors.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Must be able to perform high-level analytical tasks.
- Ability to effectively organize and prioritize work as well as concentrate on multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to supervise staff and projects, working collaboratively with staff.
- Ability to think analytically and solve problems efficiently.
- Regular attendance is a necessary and essential job duty.
Work Environment & Physical Abilities
Work Environment – Environmental or atmospheric conditions commonly associated with the performance of the duties of this job.
- Indoor and outdoor work environment. Occasionally required to work in inclement weather conditions, rain, and heat.
- May be exposed to moderate noise levels.
- Occasionally required to work around hazardous traffic conditions during events.
Physical Abilities – The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential duties of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential duties.
- Work may require frequent standing, walking, climbing, bending, and lifting and carrying up to 50 pounds.
- Must be able to speak and hear clearly.
- Must be able to have repetitive wrist, hand, and/or finger movement.
- Must have finger dexterity and hand-eye coordination.
- Must have clarity of vision and the ability to adjust focus.
Agency: City of Wentzville
Address: 1001 Schroeder Creek Blvd, Wentzville, Missouri, 63385
Phone: 636-639-2190, 636-639-2007