Streets Maintenance WorkerCity Of Wentzville
Salary: $38,599.00 Annually
Job Type: Full-time
Department: PUBLIC WORKS
Closing: 9/3/2019 5:00 PM Central
Priority consideration will be given to applications submitted by August 27.
Adventurers wanted! The City of Wentzville is seeking a Streets Maintenance Worker in our Public Works Department. The City was recently named to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch 2019 Top Workplaces list. This list is based solely on employee feedback gathered through a third-party survey, which measures several aspects of workplace culture, including how employees feel about pay, benefits, managers and leadership – just to name a few. The City of Wentzville was the only municipal government to be honored this year. The City offers excellent benefits including health, vision, dental, employer-paid life insurance, long-term disability, a retirement pension, 12 holidays, 2 floating holidays, vacation time, sick time, tuition reimbursement, employee assistance, a free recreation center membership and much more!
Current employees note that working for the City of Wentzville offers great opportunity for growth. The people are truly amazing, the benefits speak for themselves and there's always room for advancement.
Are you ready for an adventure? Complete an application for the opportunity to join our team!
This position operates a variety of equipment, vehicles, and power tools in order to perform skilled work to build, repair, or maintain streets, catch basins, storm drains, culverts, ditches, and public works projects.
Essential & Ancillary Job Duties:
Essential Job Duties
- Participate in the construction, maintenance, and repair of city streets, right-of-ways, stormwater systems, and public works projects.
- Install, maintain, inspect, and repair a variety of ditches, sewers, drains, gutters, and culverts.
- Participate in the maintenance and repair of asphalt surfaces to construct or repair streets.
- Pour and assist in finishing concrete and masonry work including rough carpentry work to construct forms for curbs, gutters, and ramps.
- Participate as directed in sign fabrication and traffic painting; set up and take down traffic warning devices and barricades for traffic control per MUTCD.
- Erect and maintain proper work zones, warning devices, and barricades for traffic control in accordance with MUTCD standards.
- May run street sweeper on a daily basis to clean city streets.
- Complete minor repairs to equipment and perform preventative maintenance tasks, such as making simple adjustments, replacing minor parts, and lubricating equipment to keep it in proper operating condition.
Ancillary Job Duties
- Respond to snow removal operations on a 24-hour call basis; plow snow and spread salt as needed to clear streets.
- Act as a backup operator during periods of severe manpower shortage.
- Monitor projects and report hazardous conditions and safety concerns.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Job Qualifications & Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Job Qualifications – Education, experience and training that are required or desirable in order to effectively perform the job at the time of hire. An equivalent combination of education, training and experience will be considered. Additional requirements and/or substitutions may be requested and require the approval of HR.
- High school diploma or equivalent desired.
- Minimum of one year of experience in street maintenance or related experience required.
- Valid Class A CDL with airbrake and tanker endorsements required within 120 days of employment. Must have valid driver's license upon hire.
- Forklift Certification, Chemical Spill Training, and Flagging and Work Zone Safety Training required within 120 days of employment.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities – May be representative, but not all-inclusive, of those knowledge, skills and abilities commonly associated with this position.
- Knowledge of concrete placement and finishing methods, slump, and strength testing with related training preferred.
- Ability to effectively organize and prioritize work as well as concentrate on multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Knowledge of traffic laws, ordinances, and rules involved in equipment operation.
- Knowledge of tools, methods, materials, equipment and terminology used in construction and maintenance of street and traffic control facilities.
- Ability to use good judgment and think quickly and rationally.
- Attention to detail and the ability to maintain concentrated focus.
- Ability to communicate verbally and in writing.
- Ability to understand and carry out written and oral instructions.
Work Environment & Physical Abilities:
Work Environment – Environmental or atmospheric conditions commonly associated with the performance of the duties of this job.
- Primarily an outdoor work environment.
- May be exposed to moderate noise levels and occasional loud noises from equipment.
- Occasionally exposed to varying, inclement weather; may be exposed to wet, humid, hot, and/or cold conditions.
- Occasionally required to work in hazardous traffic conditions and near moving mechanical parts; may work in high and dangerous places.
- Occasionally required to wear protective gear to limit exposure to dust, chemicals, and environmental toxins.
Physical Abilities – The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential duties of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential duties.
- Ability to perform strenuous manual tasks for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 100 pounds.
- Must be able to sit for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to speak and hear clearly.
- Must be able to have repetitive wrist, hand, and/or finger movement.
- Must have finger dexterity and hand-eye coordination.
- Must have clarity of vision and the ability to adjust focus.
- Regular attendance is a necessary and essential job duty.
APPLICATIONS MAY BE FILED ONLINE AT:
1001 Schroeder Creek Blvd
Wentzville, Missouri, 63385