Street LaborerCity Of Wentzville
CITY OF WENTZVILLE
Invites applications for the position of:
SALARY: $15.34-$16.65 Hourly
DEPARTMENT: PUBLIC WORKS
DIVISION: STREETS & SIGNALS
OPENING DATE: 07/11/19
Adventurers wanted! The City of Wentzville is seeking a Streets Laborer. The City was recently named to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch 2019 Top Workplaces list. This list is based solely on employee feedback gathered through a third-party survey, which measures several aspects of workplace culture, including how employees feel about pay, benefits, managers and leadership – just to name a few. The City of Wentzville was the only municipal government to be honored this year. The City offers excellent retirement pension, 12 holidays, 2 floating holidays, vacation time, sick time, tuition reimbursement, employee assistance, a free recreation center membership and much more!
Current employees note that working for the City of Wentzville offers great opportunity for growth. The people are truly amazing, the benefits speak for themselves and there’s always room for advancement.
Are you ready for an adventure? Complete the application for the opportunity to join our team!
Performs manual labor in the construction, maintenance, and repair of city streets, right of ways, storm water systems, and public works projects in order to ensure city streets are safe and usable.
ESSENTIAL & ANCILLARY JOB DUTIES:
Essential Job Duties
- Shovel, set, rake, sweep, and clean street surfaces in the process of pouring concrete surfaces and laying asphalt surfaces.
- Pour and assist in finishing concrete and masonry work, including rough carpentry work to construct forms for curbs, gutters, and ramps.
- Assist in the maintaining of traffic control systems, including painting and striping streets and curbs and installing sign posts and signs
- Participate in the construction, maintenance, and repair of city streets, right of ways, storm water systems, and public works projects
- Install, maintain, inspect, and repair a variety of ditches, sewers, drains, gutters, and culverts.
- Complete minor repairs to equipment and perform preventative maintenance tasks, such as making simple adjustments, replacing minor parts, and lubricating equipment to keep it in proper operating condition.
- Respond to winter storm operations on a 24-hour call basis as required; plow snow and spread salt as needed to clear streets
Ancillary Job Duties
- Monitor projects and report hazardous conditions and safety concerns
- Perform other related duties as assigned
JOB QUALIFICATIONS & KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Job Qualifications- Education, experience and training that are required or desirable in order to effectively perform the job at the time of hire. An equivalent combination of education, training and experience will be considered. Additional requirements and/or substitutions may be requested and require approval of HR.
- High school diploma or equivalent desired
- One year prior experience in street maintenance or similar work environment desired
- Valid Class B CDL with tanker endorsement required within 120 days of employment. Must have valid driver’s license upon hire.
- Forklift Certification, Chemical Spill Training and Flagging and Work Zone Safety Training required within 120 days of employment.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities – May be representative, but not all inclusive, of those knowledge, skills and abilities commonly associated with the position.
- Knowledge of concrete placement and finishing methods used in the process
- Knowledge of asphalt placement and methods used in the process
- Ability to effectively organize and prioritize work as well as concentrate on multiple tasks simultaneously
- Knowledge of traffic laws, ordinances, and rules involved in equipment operation.
- Knowledge of tools, methods, materials, equipment and terminology used in construction and maintenance of street and traffic control facilities.
- Ability to use good judgement and think quickly and rationally
- Attention to detail and the ability to maintain concentrated focus
- Ability to communicate verbally and in writing
- Ability to understand and carry out written and oral instructions
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with coworkers and the public
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL ABILITIES:
Work Environment – Environmental or atmospheric conditions commonly associated with the performance of the duties of this job.
- Primarily an outdoor work environment. May be exposed to loud noises from equipment.
- Frequently exposed to varying, inclement weather; may be exposed to wet, humid, hot, and/or cold conditions.
- Frequently required to work in hazardous traffic conditions and near moving mechanical parts; may work in high and dangerous places.
- Occasionally required to wear protective gear to limit exposure to dust, chemicals, and environmental toxins
Physical Abilities- The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential duties of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential duties.
- Ability to perform strenuous manual tasks for extended periods of time
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 100 pounds
- Must be able to sit for extended periods of time
- Must be able to speak and hear clearly
- Must be able to have repetitive wrist, hand, and/or finger movement
- Must have finger dexterity and hand-eye coordination
- Must have clarity of vision and ability to adjust focus
- Regular attendance is a necessary and essential job duty
The City of Wentzville is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The City does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital, or veteran status, or any other legally protected status. The City of Wentzville makes every effort to fully comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer. The City of Wentzville is a drug and alcohol free work place. A pre-employment drug screen is require for all positions. The City of Wentzville participates in E-Verify.
APPLICATIONS MAY BE FILED ONLINE AT;
1001 Schroeder Creek Blvd
Wentzville, MO 63385