Salary: $26.25 Hourly
Location: 1019 Schroeder Creek Blvd., Wentzville
Job Type: Full-time
Department: PUBLIC SAFETY
Job Number: 00488
Closing: 8/12/2020 5:00 PM Central
Patrols the City of Wentzville and performs a variety of tasks including investigating crimes, responding to citizen complaints and requests for assistance, and enforcing traffic laws.
Essential & Ancillary Job Duties
Essential Job Duties
- Protects citizens by preventing crime, enforcing laws, apprehending suspects, and monitoring traffic.
- Prevents crime by explaining and enforcing applicable federal, state, and local laws and ordinances; teaching preventive, protective, and defensive tactics; mediating disputes; patrolling assigned area; responding to notices of disturbances; conducting searches; observing suspicious activities; and detaining suspects.
- Apprehends suspects by responding to complaints and calls for help, observing violations, and making arrests.
- Conducts criminal investigations by gathering evidence, interviewing victims and witnesses, and interrogating suspects.
- Documents observations and actions by radioing information and completing reports.
- Reports observations and actions by testifying in court.
- Fulfills court orders by serving warrants and commitments.
- Maintains safe traffic conditions by monitoring and directing traffic, enforcing laws and ordinances, investigating accidents, providing escort, and reporting unsafe streets and facilities.
- Minimizes personal injury by rescuing and reviving victims and radioing for medical assistance.
- Maintains operations by following department policies and procedures and recommending changes.
- Ensures operation of equipment by practicing responsible use, completing preventive maintenance requirements, following manufacturer's instructions, troubleshooting malfunctions, notifying supervisor of needed repairs, and evaluating new equipment and techniques.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by studying applicable federal, state, and local laws and ordinances; attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; practicing skills; and participating in professional societies.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
Ancillary Job Duties
- Conduct background investigations on job applicants as assigned.
- Perform life-saving skills such as CPR or AED as needed.
- May be required to serve in a special assignment such as a School Resource Officer, Park Ranger, or Animal Control Officer.
- Perform other related duties as assigned
Job Qualifications & Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Education, experience and training that are required or desirable in order to effectively perform the job at the time of hire. An equivalent combination of education, training and experience will be considered. Additional requirements and/or substitutions may be requested and require the approval of HR.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Bachelor's degree in Criminal Justice or a related field desired.
- Police Academy graduate or Missouri Peace Officer Certification (POST) required.
- Two years of related experience desired.
- Valid driver's license required.
- Must pass a comprehensive background investigation.
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
May be representative, but not all-inclusive, of those knowledge, skills and abilities commonly associated with this position.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) and basic office equipment/machines.
- Maintain continuing education hours annually as required by the Missouri POST Commission.
- Knowledge of the layout of the City.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing and to de-escalate tense situations as they arise.
- Ability to effectively organize and prioritize work as well as concentrate on multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to use good judgment and think quickly in difficult or stressful situations.
- Ability to identify potential liabilities and minimize negative exposure.
- Regular attendance is a necessary and essential job duty.
Work Environment & Physical Abilities
Work Environment – Environmental or atmospheric conditions commonly associated with the performance of the duties of this job.
- Indoor and outdoor work environment with much of time spent patrolling in police vehicle.
- Potential risk of encountering violent persons.
- Exposure to moderate noise levels.
Physical Abilities – The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential duties of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential duties.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds and wear weighted equipment for extended periods.
- Must be able to sit for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to speak and hear clearly.
- Must be able to stand and walk for significant periods of time.
- Must be comfortable driving frequently and for significant periods of time.
- Must be able to perform repetitive wrist, hand, and/or finger movement.
- Must have finger dexterity and hand-eye coordination.
- Must have clarity of vision and the ability to adjust focus, judge distance and spatial relationships, and identify and distinguish colors.
City of Wentzville
1001 Schroeder Creek Blvd
Wentzville, Missouri, 63385