Ice Arena Specialist
Ice Arena Specialist
Salary: $12.15 Hourly
Location: Ice Arena, 910 Main Plaza Dr. Wentzville
Job Type: Part-time
Department: PARKS & RECREATION
Job Number: 00584
Closing: 5/7/2021 5:00 PM Central
Looking for a cool opportunity? The Wentzville Parks and Recreation Department is looking for a hardworking, dependable individual with the motivation to do more than just skate by. As an Ice Arena Specialist, you will sharpen your leadership skills through supervising staff, overseeing ice usage and encouraging exceptional guest services. This includes, but is not limited to, managing rink schedules, skate rentals, programming and maintenance. Successful candidates will be able to clearly communicate, adapt in an ever-changing environment and possess a strong work ethic. Ice Arena Specialists must have a flexible schedule, typically work up to 28 hours per week and may be required to open or close the facility. This is a fun, exciting position that requires a positive attitude and friendly demeanor in order to promote the positive, enthusiastic and cooperative work environment Wentzville Parks and Recreation strives to provide. Don’t get cold feet! Break the ice and apply today!
Essential & Ancillary Job Duties
Essential Job Duties
- Provides courteous and professional front line customer service, education, and information to the general public regarding the City's ice skating rink facility, programs, and services. Courteously answers and routes telephone calls, greets and receives visitors, and responds to staff inquiries or requests for information.
- Assists with registering or cancelling customer's reservations for programs and activities. Enters applicable reservation data into a database and tracks accordingly. Performs league/class registrations, cash handling and data entry for all programs, including fall and summer hockey, and learn to skate programs for adults and youth.
- Assists in training and overseeing the work of new employees ensuring City standards, rules, safety procedures and regulations are adhered to at all times.
- Works cooperatively with other building staff to ensure maximum facility use, ice time and avoid loss from not scheduling useable space.
- Participates in and leads staff in the performance custodial functions within the Ice Arena to include sweeping, mopping, and buffing floors; vacuuming rugs, washing windows, replacing light bulbs, emptying trash, dusting furniture, and cleaning/sanitizing bathrooms and locker rooms. Clears snow from sidewalks and makes ice at times designated on the building schedule.
- Operates ice resurfacing machine and other ice related equipment. Keeps maintenance logs up to date on ice resurfacer.
- Opens and/or closes the facilities as assigned.
Ancillary Job Duties
- Assists in the coordination and implementation of the Learn to Skate Program by scheduling ice, programming of lessons, and creating lesson plans for instructors.
- Performs other duties as deemed necessary or assigned.
Job Qualifications & Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Job Qualifications - Education, experience and training that are required or desirable in order to effectively perform the job at the time of hire. An equivalent combination of education, training and experience will be considered. Additional requirements and/or substitutions may be requested and require the approval of HR.
- Minimum 18 years of age.
- High School diploma or GED desired.
- Minimum of three years of ice arena experience including being responsible for scheduling and supervising staff related to assignment required.
- Valid driver's license required
- Must possess or be able to obtain a first-aid/CPR card within 90 days of hire date.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities – May be representative, but not all-inclusive, of those knowledge, skills and abilities commonly associated with this position.
- Knowledge of standard tools, methods, practices, and materials of ice maintenance, to include edging, dry planning, flooding low spots, filling holes and divots, and fixing hockey lines as needed.
- Skill in operation of some of the assigned tools and equipment.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, other departments and the public.
- Ability to understand and carry out written and oral instructions.
- Ability to work independently, strong self-motivation and effective time management skills.
- Ability to work irregular hours, and assume added responsibilities as needed.
- Regular attendance is a necessary and essential job duty.
Work Environment & Physical Abilities
Work Environment – Environmental or atmospheric conditions commonly associated with the performance of the duties of this job.
- Work is, generally, performed in an indoor ice rink environment where the employee may be exposed to cold temperatures.
- Exposed to moderate noise levels.
- Incumbents may occasionally be exposed to extreme temperatures and weather, areas under construction, machinery with moving parts, toxic fumes, solvents and chemicals, infectious diseases and water and airborne pathogens.
- Work may require the use of protective devices such as masks, goggles, hard hats, safety vests, safety boots or gloves.
Physical Abilities – The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential duties of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential duties.
- Requires frequent standing, walking, climbing, reaching, bending and pulling. Some work is done on a slippery surface and varying environments including warm and cold temperatures.
- Must be able to sit for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Must be able to speak and hear clearly.
- Must be able to have repetitive wrist, hand and/or finger movement to type and work on computer.
- Must have finger dexterity and hand-eye coordination to work on computer, telephone, and related office equipment.
- Must have clarity of vision and the ability to adjust focus.
Agency: City of Wentzville
Address: 1001 Schroeder Creek Blvd, Wentzville, Missouri, 63385
Phone: 636-639-2190, 636-639-2007