SALARY: $12.15 Hourly
DEPARTMENT: PARKS & RECREATION
DIVISION: MAINTENANCE & HORTICULTURE
OPENING DATE: 08/25/21
Maintains city outdoor areas, facilities, structures, and fixtures. Performs a variety of semi-skilled gardening or turf maintenance duties in the development, maintenance, and repair of landscape or sports turf areas at public parks, public buildings, streetscapes, athletic fields, and related facilities. Operates a wide variety of landscape-related equipment.
ESSENTIAL & ANCILLARY JOB DUTIES:
Essential Job Duties
- Perform athletic field preparation and maintenance related to both synthetic and natural turfed baseball, softball, soccer, and football fields.
- Assist in the completion of best turf care practices including overseeding, mowing, aerating, thatching, watering, fertilizing, plugging, spraying, and installation of new turf areas with both seed and sod.
- Perform a wide variety of general grounds and facility maintenance work on equipment, buildings, and grounds including raking leaves, cleaning walkways, and removing debris.
- Prepare soil; install, water, weed, prune, renovate, and fertilize flower beds, shrubs, trees, and landscaped areas.
- Assist in the maintenance, installation, repair, and monitoring of irrigation systems and related components for the purpose of ensuring equipment and components are in proper working order.
- Assist in the monitoring, recognition, and treatment of plant pests, fungi, and other diseases related to sod and landscaped areas including the application of pesticides, fungicides, and herbicides, in accordance with established procedures.
- Clean landscaped areas and related items for the purpose of preventing flooding, eliminating hazards, and removing trash.
- Utilize a wide variety of hand and power tools and landscape maintenance equipment including rotary mowers, utility vehicles, sprayers, and weed eaters.
- As needed, repair, move, and install recreation equipment such as bleachers, benches, and picnic tables.
Ancillary Job Duties
- Assist other departments and respond to inquiries from the general public as the need arises.
- Remove snow for the purpose of ensuring parking lots and sidewalks are safe for vehicles and people.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
JOB QUALIFICATIONS & KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Job Qualifications Education, experience and training that are required or desirable in order to effectively perform the job at the time of hire. An equivalent combination of education, training and experience will be considered. Additional requirements and/or substitutions may be requested and require the approval of HR.
- No specific level of education is required to be qualified for this position.
- Prior experience with grounds keeping or landscaping is desired.
- Valid driver's license is required.
- CPR and First Aid certifications are required.
- Knowledge, Skills & Abilities May be representative, but not all-inclusive, of those knowledge, skills and abilities commonly associated with this position
- Knowledge of cleaning, maintenance, and gardening methods, materials, and equipment.
- Ability to safely and efficiently operate motorized equipment such as push and riding mowers, utility vehicles, and golf carts.
- Ability to properly use hand tools such as hammers, wrenches, picks, shovels, spades, rakes, loppers, saws, or similar tools.
- Knowledge of irrigation techniques using sprinklers, hoses, and flooding methods.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to communicate orally with co-workers and the general public in a one-to-one setting.
- Ability to use mops, brooms, paintbrushes, and rollers and work with cleaning fluids, chemicals, pesticides, insecticides, paints, cleaning agents, or similar solutions using normal protective equipment.
- Must have strong mechanical, organizational, and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work effectively with minimal supervision and use independent judgment.
- Ability to judge distances accurately and to read and interpret maps, manuals, and schematics.
- Regular attendance is a necessary and essential job duty.
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL ABILITIES: Work Environment Environmental or atmospheric conditions commonly associated with the performance of the duties of this job.
- Primarily an outdoor work environment; exposure to all types of weather conditions is expected.
- Frequently required to work around heavy machinery, excessive noise, and work in confined spaces and high elevations.
- Occasional exposure to dust, hazardous chemicals, accidental cuts, needles, other potentially infectious materials, and environmental toxins may be expected when removing trash and debris.
- Physical Abilities The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential duties of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential duties.
- Manual labor including lifting and carrying heavy objects weighing up to 75 pounds is expected.
- Frequently required to stoop, kneel, crouch or bend; reach with hands and arms; handle objects, tools or controls; stand; and walk.
- Occasionally required to sit as well as climb or balance.
- Must be able to speak and hear clearly.
- Must be able to operate mechanical equipment.
- Must have clarity of vision and the ability to adjust focus, judge distance and spatial relationships, and identify and distinguish colors.
- Must have finger dexterity and hand-eye coordination in order to work on related equipment.
The City of Wentzville is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The City does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, or any other legally protected status. The City of Wentzville makes every effort to fully comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer. The City of Wentzville is a drug and alcohol free work place. A pre-employment drug screen is required for all positions. The City of Wentzville participates in E-Verify.