Athletic Turf LaborerCity Of Wentzville
Salary: $32,157.00 - $37,669.00 Annually
Job Type: Full-time
Adventurers wanted! The City of Wentzville is seeking a Athletic Turf Laborer. The City was recently named to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch 2019 Top Workplaces list. This list is based solely on employee feedback gathered through a third-party survey, which measures several aspects of workplace culture, including how employees feel about pay, benefits, managers and leadership – just to name a few. The City of Wentzville was the only municipal government to be honored this year. The City offers excellent benefits including health, vision, dental, employer-paid life insurance, long-term disability, a retirement pension, 12 holidays, 2 floating holidays, vacation time, sick time, tuition reimbursement, employee assistance, a free recreation center membership and much more!
Current employees note that working for the City of Wentzville offers great opportunity for growth. The people are truly amazing, the benefits speak for themselves and there's always room for advancement.
Are you ready for an adventure? Complete an application for the opportunity to join our team!
General Responsibilities: Assists and supports leadership team and performs a variety of semi-skilled general maintenance work including mowing, athletic field set up, tournaments, landscaping, safety checks, snowplowing, and general ground maintenance of City parks and facilities.
Performs a variety of semi-skilled and unskilled gardening and turf maintenance duties in the development, maintenance, and repair of landscaped or sports turf areas at public parks, public buildings, streetscapes, athletic fields, and related facilities. Operates a wide variety of parks landscape related equipment; occasionally leads small groups of seasonal workers.
For priority consideration, submit application by 1/13/2020.
Essential & Ancillary Job Duties:
Essential Job Duties
- Perform athletic field preparation and maintenance related to both synthetic and natural turfed baseball, softball, soccer, and football fields.
- Assist in the completion of best turf care practices including overseeding, mowing, aerating, thatching, watering, fertilizing, plugging, spraying, and installation of new turf areas with both seed and sod.
- Perform a wide variety of general grounds and facility maintenance work on equipment, buildings, and grounds including raking leaves, cleaning walkways, and removing debris.
- Prepare soil; install, water, weed, prune, renovate, and fertilize flower beds, shrubs, trees, and landscaped areas.
- Assist in the maintenance, installation, repair, and monitoring of irrigation systems and related components.
- Assist in the monitoring, recognition, and treatment of plant pests, fungi, and other diseases related to sod and landscaped areas including the application of pesticides, fungicides, and herbicides, in accordance with established procedures.
- Clean landscaped areas and related items for the purpose of preventing flooding, eliminating hazards, and removing trash.
- Perform safety checks on playgrounds, maintenance equipment, and buildings to ensure equipment and buildings are safe for guests and staff.
- Utilize a wide variety of hand and power tools and landscape maintenance equipment including rotary and reel mowers, tractors, trenchers, skid loaders, utility vehicles, sprayers, brush chippers, weed eaters, and chainsaws.
- Repair, move, and install recreation equipment such as bleachers, benches, and picnic tables.
Ancillary Job Duties
- Assist other departments and respond to inquiries from the general public as the need arises.
- Remove snow for the purpose of ensuring parking lots, public streets, and sidewalks are safe for vehicles and people.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Job Qualifications & Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Job Qualifications - Education, experience and training that are required or desirable in order to effectively perform the job at the time of hire. An equivalent combination of education, training and experience will be considered. Additional requirements and/or substitutions may be requested and require the approval of HR.
- Associate's degree in Horticulture or Turf Management desired.
- Minimum of one year of experience with athletic field maintenance, grounds keeping, or turf maintenance required.
- Valid Class B CDL required within 120 days of employment. Valid driver's license required upon hire.
- First Aid and CPR certification desired.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities – May be representative, but not all-inclusive, of those knowledge, skills and abilities commonly associated with this position.
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule including days, evenings, weekends, holidays, and overtime when necessary.
- Knowledge of or ability to learn cleaning, maintenance, and gardening methods, materials and equipment.
- Knowledge of or ability to learn the safe and efficient operation of motorized equipment such as push and riding mowers, tractors, skid loaders, etc.
- Knowledge of or ability to learn proper use of hand tools such as hammers, wrenches, picks, shovels, spades, rakes, loppers, saws or similar tools.
- Knowledge of or ability to learn irrigation techniques using sprinklers, hoses and flooding methods.
- Understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Communicate verbally with co-workers and the general public in a one-to-one setting.
- Must have strong mechanical, organizational, and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work effectively with minimal supervision and routinely use independent judgment.
- Ability to judge distances accurately and to read and interpret maps, manuals, and schematics is required.
- Regular attendance is a necessary and essential job duty.
Work Environment & Physical Abilities:
Work Environment – Environmental or atmospheric conditions commonly associated with the performance of the duties of this job.
- Primarily an outdoor work environment. Exposure to all types of weather conditions is expected.
- Frequently exposed to heavy machinery and loud noises.
- Occasionally required to work in confined spaces and at high elevations.
- Occasionally exposed to dust, hazardous chemicals, accidental cuts, needles, and other potentially infectious materials, and environmental toxins when removing trash and debris.
Physical Abilities – The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential duties of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential duties.
- Manual labor including lifting and carrying heavy objects weighing up to 100 pounds is expected.
- Frequently required to stoop, kneel, crouch or bend; reach with hands and arms; use hands to use objects, tools or controls; stand; and walk. Occasionally required to sit as well as climb or balance.
- Must be able to speak and hear clearly.
- Must be able to operate mechanical equipment.
- Must have clarity of vision and the ability to adjust focus, judge distance and spatial relationships, identify and distinguish colors.
- Must have finger dexterity and hand-eye coordination in order to work on related equipment.
APPLICATIONS MAY BE FILED ONLINE AT:
1001 Schroeder Creek Blvd
Wentzville, Missouri, 63385