Athletic Turf & Irrigation TechnicianCity Of Wentzville
Salary: $20.41 - $22.16 Hourly
Plans and supervises the maintenance for athletic sports turf and related surrounds. This position ensures proper conditions are maintained for practice and competition in the sports of football, baseball, soccer, softball, and lacrosse. Oversees work of the grounds staff and contracted services.
Essential & Ancillary Job Duties:
Essential Job Duties
- Develop and implement plans for the successful maintenance of sports fields and grounds, which may include: athletic fields (natural grass and synthetic surfaces), irrigation systems, sports field lighting and sound systems, and facility grounds.
- Plan, oversee, and manage major field renovation or capital improvement projects including quality controls and the work of external contractors.
- Oversee assigned staff, which includes work allocation, training, and problem resolution.
- Plan, coordinate, and manage athletic sports turf with regular schedules for mowing, herbicide-pesticide-fungicide applications, fertilization, irrigation, and other related turf maintenance practices.
- Perform and supervise maintenance and repairs of athletic sports turf equipment, along with establishing maintenance records and preventive maintenance records.
- Develop budget recommendations and plan for maintenance of athletic fields and grounds with oversight by Horticulturist.
- Assist in the establishment of long-range plans and objectives for athletic grounds and prepare proposals and specifications for improvement and renovation of existing athletic grounds.
- Manage and review computer controlled irrigation systems performance and initiate changes when necessary.
- Develop and implement plans to reduce impacts on the environment including recycling, stormwater management, waste management, and erosion control.
- Maintain an inventory of parts, irrigation supplies, chemicals, tools, and other components and supplies used in the work.
- Assist in the establishment and maintenance of sod plots, tree nurseries, and greenhouses.
Ancillary Job Duties
- Provide snow and ice removal during inclement weather.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Job Qualifications & Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Education, experience and training that are required or desirable in order to effectively perform the job at the time of hire. An equivalent combination of education, training and experience will be considered. Additional requirements and/or substitutions may be requested and require the approval of HR.
- Bachelor's degree in Agronomy, Plant Science, Horticulture or related field with specialization in Sports Turf Management desired.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in turf maintenance with athletic competition fields and familiarity with baseball and softball field maintenance needs and practices required.
- Additional training courses or experience in electronic lighting systems and irrigation system design and controls desired.
- Experience operating backhoes, skid loaders, spraying equipment, tractors, trucks, and other department equipment required.
- Missouri Department of Agriculture Applicators license with Ornamental and Turf Certification required within 120 days of employment.
- Valid Class B CDL required within 120 days of employment. A valid driver's license is required upon hire.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
May be representative, but not all-inclusive, of those knowledge, skills and abilities commonly associated with this position.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite and basic knowledge of office equipment and machines.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to effectively organize and prioritize work as well as concentrate on multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to work independently and make responsible decisions.
- Ability to use good judgment and think quickly and rationally in difficult or stressful situations.
Work Environment & Physical Abilities:
Environmental or atmospheric conditions commonly associated with the performance of the duties of this job.
- Primarily an outdoor work environment; exposure to all types of weather conditions is expected.
- May be exposed to loud noise levels and irritating chemicals.
- Occasionally required to wear protective gear to limit exposure to dust, chemicals, and environmental toxins.
The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential duties of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential duties.
- Work may require frequent standing, walking, climbing, bending, and lifting and carrying up to 50 pounds.
- Must be able to speak and hear clearly.
- Must be able to have repetitive wrist, hand, and/or finger movement.
- Must have finger dexterity and hand-eye coordination.
- Must have clarity of vision and the ability to adjust focus.
- Regular attendance is a necessary and essential job duty.
APPLICATIONS MAY BE FILED ONLINE AT:
1001 Schroeder Creek Blvd
Wentzville, Missouri, 63385