Municipal Court Substitute JudgeCITY OF SPARTANBURG/C BENSON
Municipal Court Substitute Judge
The City of Spartanburg is seeking a substitute judge to fill in as needed at the direction of the Municipal Court Judge. The Substitute Judge will administer justice as well as conduct hearings and adjudicate cases in criminal, traffic cases, and livability (code enforcement, animal services non-compliance) cases. The City's Court System is stand alone.
The Substitute Judge will report to the Municipal Court Judge and the Municipal Judge reports to the City Council through the Mayor for the administrative and operational matters and to the Chief Justice of the South Carolina Supreme Court as it relates to judicial matters.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for maintaining an efficient and effective Court System by a Flex Court System which will allow for before and/or after-hours.
- Preside over court proceedings and determine pleas, motions, sentencing issues and all other matters for which the Court has jurisdiction.
- Manage the case schedule in the courtroom in an effective and efficient matter. Are able to render legal decisions and to assess penalties in a fair and impartial manner.
- Ability to communicate complex ideas effectively both orally and in writing.
- Keep abreast of the changes in City Ordinances and those stemming from higher Court decisions.
- Able to establish and maintain effective working relationships with City staff and the general public and have respect for all persons at all levels.
Minimum Training and Experience:
- Must be a member in good standing with the South Carolina Bar Association with at least ten (10) years of experience as a practicing attorney or judge.
- Must have a Juris Doctor degree from an accredited law school.
- Must have knowledge of court policies and procedures and case management techniques.
- Must have knowledge of criminal procedures and rules of evidence.
- Prefer experience with criminal law.
Prefer judge be residents of the City of Spartanburg with flexibility to fill in as needed at the direction of the Judge.
Pay rate is negotiable within the parameters of the budget.
An Equal Opportunity Employer