Under general supervision, performs a wide range of skilled and semi-skilled work in the construction, maintenance and repair of City roads, shared use paths, municipal buildings, facilities, equipment and grounds. Skill work assigned includes carpentry, painting, plumbing, concrete laying and minor electrical. Vehicle and light equipment operation is required.
- Performs a variety of jobs in carpentry work including installation of window air conditioning units, hanging doors, building storage shelves, installing book shelves, replacing windows, installing and repairing locks, and building divider walls. Builds decks, walkways, railings and other structures for public access areas.
- Prepares buildings for painting and paints offices, equipment and furniture such as filling cabinets, shelves, display cases, tables and chairs. Paints road and bike path stripes and other traffic indicators.
- Maintains and repairs plumbing facilities and fixtures such as drinking fountains, rest rooms, irrigation systems, and drainage on reserve water tanks.
- Completes minor electrical work such as installing and relocating ceiling fans, light fixtures and electrical switches.
- Maintains grounds by mowing lawns, pruning shrubs and collecting trash.
- Works with concrete, builds forms, mixes, pours and finishes.
- Maintains signage.
- Makes minor repairs to equipment.
Required Education, Experience, License, Registration, and Certification Qualifications
- High school diploma or GED; Vocational training/certification with major course work in the skilled trades, supplemented by one (1) year responsible skilled trades experience in maintenance of roadways, shared use paths, buildings, facilities or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- Florida driver's license required.
- Ability to acquire a Florida CDL within 6 months of hire.
- Ability to acquire a City of Sanibel Vegetation Competency Care within 6 months of hire.
Supplemental or Additional Information
- Knowledge of carpentry, plumbing, concrete laying, and minor electrical methods and techniques.
- Knowledge in use of paints and chemicals used in construction and lawn maintenance.
- Knowledge of occupational safety rules and practices.
- Ability to use power tools, manual tools, and light equipment such as lawn mowers, weed eater, saws, drills, augers, tillers, compactors and emergency generators.
- Ability to perform electrical, welding and other repair and maintenance of assigned facilities and equipment.
- Ability to work effectively with other employees.
- Skill in the use of power and manual tools and equipment required for repairs, maintenance and testing.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
- Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.