Human Resources Generalist
Thank you for your interest in applying for opportunities with The City of Richmond.
Human Resources Generalist
The City of Richmond Department of Human Resources is seeking qualified candidates to fill the position of Human Resources Generalist. This position will provide devoted human resources services to City agencies focusing on a collaborative partnerships with various departments. This will include providing guidance and consultation to the department's leadership and employees in the areas of recruitment, policy interpretation, developing agency policies and procedures, employee relations and performing special human resources projects and analysis as needed.
Duties include but are not limited to
- Counseling and advising directors, managers, and general staff on employee relations matters; assisting management with development of performance improvement plans; conducting departmental investigations; attending grievance hearings as representative or witness for department;
- Managing the recruitment cycle for assigned department(s) to include: creation of necessary forms; obtaining approvals; coordinating recruitment strategic planning meetings; job posting creation, posting job ads and screening applicant pool for the best qualified candidates; providing guidance to interview panels in accordance with applicable laws;
- Recommending changes in departmental policy to continually improve efficiency of the department and services performed;
- Completing forms, reviewing and processing a variety of personnel actions such as promotions, reallocations, salary changes, etc.; processing, reconciling, and validating departmental payroll, and reviewing and processing differentials, incentives, bonus pay, and deferred compensation adjustments;
- Acting the point of contact for all Worker's Compensation claims; responding to Virginia Employment Commission fact-finding hearings;
- Facilitating training on HR related topics at the department level and conducting orientation training for the department;
- Providing guidance and oversight for FMLA request for assigned department(s).
Qualifications, Special Certifications and Licenses
Considerable knowledge of standard hiring practices, employment laws and regulations. Considerable knowledge Human Resources functions including best practices for recruitment and employee relations. Skilled in critical thinking/analytical, sound judgment and reasoning, complex problem-solving, interpersonal skills, oral/written communication, time management, organization and prioritization. Demonstrated ability to negotiate and resolve conflicts. Demonstrated ability to troubleshoot, research and accurately interpret benefits and human resources laws and regulations, multi-task and manage competing priorities, work independently with minimal supervision, as well as within a team environment and Considerable knowledge and the ability to manage confidential/sensitive data with high a degree of confidentiality.
MINIMUM TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's degree in Human Resources, Business/Public Administration or a related field
- 2 years of professional human resources experience
- An equivalent combination of training and experience (as approved by the department) may be used to meet the minimum qualifications of the classification
LICENSING, CERTIFICATIONS and/or OTHER SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS
- SHRM Certified Professional (SHRM-SCP) or SHRM Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-CP) credential and or PHR or SPHR preferred