Natural Gas Operator
The City of Perham is accepting applications for the position of Natural Gas Operator.
This position performs a variety of skilled and semi-skilled work and operates a variety of equipment in executing and performing the duties of operations, maintenance, repair and construction of the City's natural gas systems and facilities. Requires a high school diploma or equivalent; three years' experience in gas utility system operations and maintenance or any equivalent combination of education and relevant work experience. Mechanical, supervisory experience and computer skills a plus. Subject to Federal DOT Alcohol and Drug testing. Must possess a Commercial Class B Driver's License or be able to obtain one within 30 days.
2020 salary range is $20.17 to $26.22 depending on qualifications plus excellent benefits.
PRIMARY OBJECTIVE OF POSITION
Performs a variety of semi-skilled and skilled work and operates a variety of equipment in executing and performing the duties of operations, maintenance, repair and construction of City's natural gas systems and facilities.
Works under the general supervision of the Public Works Director.
Supervises full-time, part-time, temporary employees or others as directed or assigned.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
* Responds to work orders such as investigation and repair of leaks, evaluations of combustion and ventilation air requirements and proper appliance installations, hook-up and disconnects, and locating and marking the location of lines.
* Performs a variety of tasks related to the operation of the gas system including leak investigations, fusion, cathodic protection surveys and inspections, odorization testing, meter installation, reading and repair, line installation and maintenance.
* Serves as trainer for various MEA, AGA, APGA and other gas operator qualifications and training programs.
* In cooperation with the Public Works Director, annually reviews and updates the gas system O & M, Public Awareness, DIMP, Construction and Emergency Response Manuals to maintain compliance with O.P.S. requirements and current industry standards and practices.
* Completes necessary forms, reports, records and other documentation related to the operation, maintenance, repair and construction work performed as required under the City's O & M, Construction and Emergency Response Manuals and Pipeline Safety regulations and standards.
* Performs required labor duties involved in construction, repair and maintenance activities; performs duties such as trenching, fusing, tapping, purging, meter installation, backfilling and restoration work.
* Performs a variety of tasks related to the installation, operation and maintenance of large volume gas customer services including sizing, installation, replacement, repair or rebuilding of meters, regulators, relief valves and meter sets.
* Inspects the work of contractors performing work on and near the gas system to ensure that all work is completed in accordance with applicable procedures, requirements, standards and practices.
* Reports time and material used and details of work performed on various projects and tasks.
* Performs all duties in conformance with established safety procedures and/or policies.
* The employee is required to respond to gas emergency calls and is required to be on call on a rotating basis.
Performs other duties and assumes additional responsibilities as directed to ensure efficient department operations.
DESIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education and Experience
A) High school diploma or equivalent, G.E.D.
B) At least three (3) years work experience in gas utility system operations and maintenance with applicable minimum training to perform the assigned duties.
C) Any equivalent combination of education and relevant work experience.
Necessary Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
A) Knowledge of gas industry practices, methods and equipment; knowledge of state, local and federal laws and regulations; knowledge of proper safety precautions to be taken when working with or around gas.
B) Skill in operating listed tools and equipment.
C) Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing; ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with employees, supervisors and the general public; ability to work independently as well as on a team; ability to understand and follow written and oral instruction; ability to work in stressful situations; ability to perform heavy manuals tasks for extended periods of time in any and all weather conditions; ability to work in a safety conscious manner.
A) Must possess a valid Class B Drivers License.
B) Shall be subject to pre-employment and random drug and alcohol testing as required by law and City policy.
C) Must be able to become Operator Qualified on the Perham Natural Gas System within six months of hire or as otherwise directed by the Public Works Director.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED
Requires use of telephone, motor vehicle, combustible gas indicator, fire extinguisher, pincher/pipe squeeze, fusion equipment, tapping equipment, safety equipment, trencher, locator, two-way radio, odorimeter, wrenches, and uses a variety of power and hand tools used in the operation, maintenance and repair of the natural gas systems. Requires use of loader, various size mowers, trucks, trailers, sewer cleaning equipment, motor vehicle and a variety of power and hand tools.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
* The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
* While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, walk and talk, hear and smell; use hands and fingers to handle, feel or operate objects, tools or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, bend, crouch or crawl.
* The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and must occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. The employee is frequently exposed to outside weather conditions. The employee frequently works near moving mechanical parts, with pressurized gas mains and is exposed to wet and/or humid conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to fumes, airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals and the risk of electrical shock.
* Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus. The noise level in the environment is usually moderate to loud.
Formal application, rating of education and experience; oral interview and reference check; job related tests may be required.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and the requirements of the job change.
City of Perham does not discriminate on the basis of handicapped status in admission, access to, treatment or employment in its programs and activities. (AA/EOE)City of Perham does not discriminate on the basis of handicapped status in admission, access to, treatment or employment in its programs and activities. (AA/EOE)