Public Works Superintendent
The City of Pembina is now accepting applications for a for a full time Public Works Superintendent for water, wastewater, streets and equipment operator. This is a full time 40 hour a week position. The successful candidate will be required to live in the city limits of Pembina.
The position of Public Works Superintendent is the primary person responsible for the maintenance and repair of the city water and sewer systems, streets, and community properties, and supervise other department employees.
Location of responsibility: City of Pembina water distribution, lagoon, sewage and surface water pump stations, water tower, city streets, offices, city shop, and community center.
Persons responsible to: This position reports to and is directed by the City Council through its designated member. This position directly supervises the public works assistant and other part-time and temporary staff.
Duties: Water & Sewer
1. Maintain accurate records and reports, filing properly and promptly.
2. Maintain a safe supply of necessary chemicals.
3. Operate and maintain lagoon, sewage and surface water pump stations and tower.
4. Flush sewers and hydrants as scheduled.
5. Install and maintain water meters within the service area.
6. Read meters monthly and as required by supervisor.
7. Coordinate repair of water/sewer lines as needed.
8. Clean lift station weekly.
Safety & Maintenance
1. Maintain the mowing of lagoon, dike, and other city property.
2. Remove snow.
3. Sweep, sand, repair and maintain streets.
4. Maintenance of the Community Center and city beautification efforts.
5. Repair and maintain city equipment and buildings, addressing miscellaneous problems as they arise.
6. Duties for summer help.
1. Develop and maintain daily, weekly, monthly, and yearly schedules for repetitive repair and maintenance duties.
2. Supervise and train assistant, temporary staff, and summer help.
3. Maintain a daily log of accomplishments, reporting to supervisor.
4. Complete any additional duties as assigned by Pembina City Council.
5. Complete annual evaluation and report to Pembina City Council on all
subordinate employees and consult with and make recommendations
to Pembina City Council regarding hiring, firing, promotions, or assignments.
Certificates Required: 1) Valid Driver's License 2) Grade 01 Wastewater Collection System Operator 3) Grade 01 Wastewater Plant Operator 4) Grade 01 Water Distributions System Operator 5) Commercial Applicator License and Endorsement's
Equipment Operated: Pumps, engines and testing equipment for quality water service; tractor, blade, loader, sweeper, truck for street maintenance; mower mechanical floor scrubber, gas trimmers, etc.
Physical Demands: navigate stairs several times daily. Have the dexterity to crawl into holes to repair water/sewer line breaks or maintain water tanks. Good visual acuity to identify problems. The ability to climb a ladder (for example, to replace light bulbs at the community center). The physical strength to lift a 50 lb bag.
Wage is depending on experience. Benefits include vacation, NDPERS retirement, stipend to a health plan benefit, clothing allowance, cell phone allowance.