Entry-Level HR Generalist
City of Newport, RI seeks Entry-Level HR Generalist to provide administrative support in the delivery of HR services to employees, retirees & the general public while taking a lead role in the development of the City’s diversity initiatives.
Wages: $21.64 - $30.82 per hour
BS degree in HR with 2 years experience desired.
- Provides paraprofessional, administrative and technical support for the department of HR in the delivery of human resources services to employees, retirees, managers and the general public.
- Performs administrative, secretarial and clerical work to support the HR Department; responsible for the recording, handling and storing of confidential information relating to the administration of Human Resources.
- Opens and distributes daily mail; composes, proofreads, and types correspondences, memorandums, forms, detailed spreadsheets, etc.
- Answers telephone, resolve problems and responds to general inquiries, in person, electronically and by telephone, regarding departmental procedures and services; receives, refers and responds to visitors; assists and answers questions of the general public, public officials, department heads and staff.
- Serves as the main point of contact during internal and external recruitment and employment processes to ensure compliance with state and federal laws and regulations, as well as compliance with the city’s mission regarding diversity and affirmative action; collates documentation received from job applicants, runs the necessary checks for completeness, and performs reference checks as required; prepares orientation packages for new employees.
- Researches, develops and recommends creative strategies to foster the City’s diversity goals by collecting and analyzes statistical data to evaluate the City’s population in accordance with diversity standards and goals, reviewing current practices and policies, assessing and analyzing the extent to which they support or hinder the City’s diversity goals.
- Audits and reports job applicant information and demographics for Affirmative Action tracking in attempts to hire a diverse workforce population; gathers, compiles, analyzes, and interprets data necessary for external and internal EEO compliance, reporting, and monitoring.
- Disseminates information for distribution of job postings while maintaining record-keeping procedures, audits and reporting of applicant information and demographics.
- Assists in the preparation of examination materials and corrects candidate answer sheets as well as schedules post-test review sessions for promotional examinations.
- Assists the HR Assistant in the coordination and implementation of various human resources programs, such as benefits fairs, flu clinics, employee recognition program, wellness programs, new employee orientations and other employee activities.
- Responsible for planning, organizing, and managing the logistics of internal and external training courses and the preparation of training logs; work cooperatively with the Director of Human Resources in designing and facilitating a training orientation program on the topics of diversity, equal opportunity, harassment/sexual harassment and discrimination
For more information, click "apply".
Send resumé & cover letter to HR Director by 10/10/2022, City Hall, 43 Broadway, Newport, RI