City of Eastpointe $42,692 - $59,641 Plus Comprehensive Fringe Benefits Package.
Under the supervision and guidance of the Finance Director/Treasurer, assists in maintaining general accounting and subsidiary ledgers, and oversees accounts payable and payroll. Prepares journal entries, performs reconciliations and ensures that all financial transactions are recorded in the proper fund and proper account in compliance with GASB and State of Michigan requirements. Assists the various departments in monitoring budget variances and performs other tasks in support of Finance Department operations.
Essential Job Functions
1. Maintains general accounting and subsidiary ledgers. Maintains accounting systems and procedures in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles.
2. Maintains a good working knowledge of the chart of accounts and assists department heads and City personnel with informational requests such as invoice cost coding and budgetary questions concerning overruns or other discrepancies.
3. Audits all general ledger transactions to ensure accuracy in amount, fund and account postings. Prepares and posts entries throughout the year and at year-end and performs other tasks pertaining to general ledger upkeep.
4. Performs various reconciliations including bank accounts, tax collections, and balance sheet accounts.
5. Maintains fixed assets and related accounts. Records asset activity including purchases, disposals and depreciation.
6. Prepares records and schedules for the annual audit. Works closely with the external auditors. Explains issues, responds to questions and reviews findings.
7. Prepares a variety of state and federal reports such as F-65, Act 51, CDBG, EEOC and others. Compiles financial/statistical data for use in grant proposals as requested.
8. Assists the Finance Director/Treasurer in all phases of financial management of the City.
9. Compiles financial data regarding project revenues/expenses for City engineers.
10. Performs other duties as directed.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Minimum Qualifications
Requirements include the following:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or a related field and two (2) or more years of experience in all aspects of accounting systems with some fund accounting and supervisory experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge of governmental fund accounting.
- Knowledge of the principals, practices and legal regulations of municipal finance, budgeting and investments.
- Knowledge of the methods and techniques of internal controls and financial reporting.
- Skill in responding to internal requests with a high degree of diplomacy and professionalism.
- Skill in assembling and analyzing financial data, developing budgets, and preparing comprehensive and accurate reports.
- Ability to critically assess situations and solve problems, and to work effectively under stress, within deadlines and changes in work priorities.
- Ability to use basic office equipment such as telephone, calculator, photocopier, fax and computer with applicable software applications such as word processing, spreadsheet, database and various financial applications, as well as email/internet/world wide web.
- Experience and capability in the use of spreadsheet-based software.
- City employees are expected to possess and maintain a record of orderly, law-abiding citizenship, sobriety, integrity and loyalty as it pertains to and reflects upon their employment with the City.
- City employees must be physically and mentally able to perform the essential duties of their position without excessive absences.
- In addition to the above requirements, all City positions require the ability to read, write, speak and understand the English language as necessary for the position, including the ability to follow written and oral instructions.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to communicate in person and by telephone, read regular and small print, view and produce written and electronic documents and enter data on a computer keyboard with repetitive keystrokes. The employee must be mobile in an office setting, stand, sit, stoop and kneel, use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move items of light weight.
The typical work environment of this job is a business office setting where the noise level is quiet and sometimes moderate.