Youth Services LibrarianCity Of Destin
Youth Services Librarian
Facebook Twitter Email
$45,800 Annually/Depends On Qualification Full-Time + employer paid benefits package (medical, dental, vision, life, vacation leave, sick leave, retirement)
Hours: 40 hours per week including some evenings and Saturday rotation
Summary: This position provides the leadership and management of youth and STEAM programs, services, resources, supplies, and technology. The Youth Services Librarian reports to the Library Director and makes decisions independently and according to prescribed procedures. Plans for the long-range expansion of youth services and administers and directs daily operations.
- Develops, organizes, implements and measures the success of programs.
- Incorporates STEAM and new technology into childrens programs.
- Conducts and Coordinates programs and activities with schools, teachers, parent groups and other community organizations.
- Provides literacy instruction for parents and children.
- Recruits, trains and directs library volunteers.
- Maintains the highly popular preschool story time.
- Communicates with the public using email, social media, and other avenues.
- Coordinates with area public and private educational organizations to promote awareness of programs and services.
- May act as library liaison to community groups as necessary and develops community contacts.
- Performs collection development tasks for children and YA resources including selecting, ordering and evaluating the collection for balance, timeliness, and comprehensiveness.
- Plans and assembles attractive displays to encourage reading.
- Assists in training new employees.
- Answers readers advisory and some reference questions from the public.
- Assists and instructs patrons in use of library tools and resources and conducts library tours.
- Identifies and makes recommendations for services and materials to meet community information needs.
- Interprets and enforces Library/City policies and procedures to the public and recommends policy procedures updates to the director.
- Assists in other areas of the library as needed.
- Conducts public relations and outreach programs to support the librarys mission and goals.
- Prepares statistical reports on youth programs and services.
- Coordinates programming with the Library Guild.
- Participates in professional library organizations.
- Demonstrates commitment to Team Destin and our mission, vision, values, and goals and represents the city in a professional, dignified manner at all times both in actions and appearance.
- Contributes to the development and accomplishment of home team work plans.
- Conducts special studies, surveys, projects, and duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of principles and practices of library science; library system organization; methods and techniques.
- Experience with online, integrated library operating system, including knowledge of circulation functions, public catalog, and research functions.
- Familiarity with childrens literature.
- Skill in using current technology devices, apps, and Microsoft office products.
- Ability to communicate and organize effectively.
- Knowledge of child development learning practices to plan age-appropriate programs with specific learning outcomes.
- Ability to produce reports with proper format, punctuation, spelling, and grammar.
- Ability to make independent judgments in the absence of supervision within the scope of respective job duties and tasks.
- Ability to acquire and expound on knowledge of topics related to primary occupation.
- Ability to utilize mathematical formulas; add and subtract, multiply and divide and determine percentages.
- Ability to differentiate colors and shades of color.
- Ability to interact with people (staff, supervisors, general public and elected officials) beyond giving and receiving instructions to include tactfully mediating conflicts and achieving positive results.
- Ability to perform under maximum stress when confronted with short deadlines, heavy workloads, conflicting interests, and high customer demand.
Depending on staffing levels, may supervise, direct and evaluate the work of professional, paraprofessional, and supporting staff.
Masters Degree in Library Science from an American Library Association accredited program and three (3) years of work experience in a public library with (1) year in youth services with an emphasis on STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, Math). Miscellaneous Information Background required.