Utility Worker I-Wastewater
Under the supervision of the Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator and/or Wastewater Director, this position primarily performs semi-skilled & skilled tasks to assist in the operation and maintenance of the wastewater/collections systems.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB
The listed examples may not include all duties performed by this position, as duties may vary from time to time at the discretion of the supervisor. All requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate an individual with a disability.
• Perform a wide range of manual duties/semi-skilled tasks associated with the installation, operation and maintenance of wastewater facilities, lift stations or the collection system;
• Drives various light equipment such as pick-up trucks, tractors, dump trucks, riding lawn mowers, utility ATVs, backhoes, sewer flush trucks, etc.
• Operate various hand/gas tools, such as weed eaters, riding lawn mowers, shovels, picks, valve keys, pneumatic tools, chemical sprayers, air compressors, pumps, chainsaws, air hammers, power saws & vehicles including tractors, backhoes & dump trucks;
• Perform manual repetitive work such as loading, unloading & carrying materials, supplies tools & equipment; placing barricades & warning lights around work area; placing/pouring, finishing & breaking asphalt &/or concrete; & cleaning tools & work areas;
• Perform a variety of general labor duties such as painting, mowing, weed spraying, brush & weed trimming;
• Remove debris from street rights-of-ways, catch basins, drainage ways & other Town property;
• Load & unload dirt, gravel, trash, refuse and other debris;
• Work as part of construction crew in road repair, gravel spreading or ditch digging; perform routine maintenance on machinery & tools;
• Adhere to safety rules & regulations;
• Assist with various unskilled labor tasks in other departments including Parks & Recreation, Public Works, & Construction/Code/Storm Water Inspections;
• May be required to work overtime or in an on-call status, as directed;
• May be required to perform various other duties as assigned by the Wastewater Director.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
• Ability to establish and maintain an effective working relationships with other employees & members of the general public;
• Ability to carry out detailed individual or group instructions & work individually or as part of a crew/team;
• Knowledge of the materials and equipment used in general maintenance and construction work relating to wastewater collections systems;
• Knowledge of occupational hazards and safety precautions;
• Ability to read and understand operation manuals and chemical application instructions.
• Ability to operate applicable equipment and tools;
• Ability to follow oral/written instructions and discriminate chemicals and colors.
• Ability to work inside or outside and be exposed to extreme temperatures and inclement weather
• Possess the physical ability to perform essential job functions such as: climbing stairs, extensive standing, walking, stooping, crawling, balancing, reaching, handling, feeling, heavy lifting, etc.
• On rare occasions, may be required to work long hours in emergency situations such as major system failures.
Any combination of training and experience equivalent to:
• Graduate of an accredited high school or GED;
• Experience in performing heavy manual work in a construction, industrial or municipal setting;
• Work is performed primarily in an outdoor environment & the performance of essential duties may require exposure to adverse environmental conditions;
• Some tasks require the ability to perceive and discriminate colors or shades of color, sounds, depth, texture & visual cues or signals;
• Normal work responsibilities require a sited individual (vision corrected to 20/20) & requires an individual with normal hearing (hearing corrected to normal ranges);
• The typical work schedule is Monday through Friday from 7:00 AM to 3:30 PM, but is subject to change based on organizational needs.
• May be exposed to hazards of construction/event work and traffic, excessive noise from equipment, dampness, dust or unsanitary conditions.
Click to be considered today!