Under the general supervision of the Parks Director, this employee performs a variety of complex, responsible and confidential administrative duties requiring knowledge of organizational procedures and precedents; provides clerical assistance to the Director and other Staff members; performs other departmental related work as required. This position requires clerical skills, math skills, public relations, and other related work. This position will work Monday through Friday from 7 AM until 3:30 PM and afterhours as needed for Special Events, programming, and meetings.
Essential Functions of the Job:
(The following duties are not intended to serve as a comprehensive list of all duties performed by all employees in this classification, only a representative summary of the primary duties and responsibilities. Incumbent(s) may not be required to perform all duties listed and may be required to perform additional, position-specific duties.)
• Answers, screens, and directs incoming calls on a 3-line phone system, responds to routine questions and requests for information; routes calls as appropriate
• Prepares letters, memorandums, forms, reports, and timelines that sometimes requires considerable research and discretion to internal and external entities; may interact daily with Town officials, supervisors, Town staff, citizens, and external State, Local, and Federal jurisdictions
• Provides strong Customer Service by greeting and assisting citizens with requests and complaints
• Provides departmental research as requested and assists in editing and reviewing reports and correspondence; updates and maintains complex spreadsheets
• Responsible for ordering supplies and adherence of the purchasing policy for the department
• Maintains inventory of parts and materials, daily time and fuel records, and bulletin board posting information relating to Parks
• Responds to various types of inquiries and/or complaints; provides information regarding operations, services, programs, projects, and policies
• Responsible for processing work orders and establishing and maintaining logs, files, and record systems for operations
• Assists with the Parks Department clerical duties to include but not limited to all invoicing of League Fees, assistance with Special Events, verification of participant addresses, and all clerical duties of the Arlington Youth Sports Leagues
• Assist with maintaining field records including daily/Bi-weekly reports, pictures, and memos; prepare various inspection reports, maintain all department files, and write correspondence as required;
• Assist with research of department files, court/legal records, database records, hardcopy materials, internet sites, or other sources as needed;
• Performs routine computer functions, typing, clerical, and other duties as assigned by the Parks Director
• Handle sensitive information in an appropriate manner and maintain complete confidentiality as needed
• Manage meeting calendars; create and mail committee meeting packages; prepare public notices.
• Monitors and maintains the department page on the Town Website
• Assists with in-house basketball registration, operations, materials, supplies, trophies, awards, equipment, and materials; publicizes programs and events.
• Planning, organization, and preparation for a variety of events along with working said events as required
• All other duties as assigned
Required Knowledge and Abilities:
• Knowledge of modern office practices, procedures, and equipment;
• Knowledge of basic bookkeeping principles and record keeping principles regarding routine transactions;
• Knowledge of correct English usage, grammar, spelling, and punctuation and proofreading;
• Knowledge of the business letter and report writing techniques;
• Ability to perform responsible technical administration, secretarial/clerical work requiring independent judgement with speed and accuracy;
• Ability to type accurately and make arithmetic calculations;
• Ability to multi-task and have a high level of attention to detail;
• Ability to exercise good judgement in evaluating situations;
• Ability to establish and maintain an effective working relationship with the public and other employees.
High School Diploma required; Associates degree in Business, Parks and Recreation, Leisure Activities, or related field preferred. Prior clerical and customer service experience required. Candidate must be proficient in Microsoft Office products and have good mathematical and reasoning skills.
The work environment characteristics described are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
• Work is performed primarily in an office environment, but employee may be exposed to dust, weather conditions, and the hazard of moving vehicles in the Public Works shop area.
• Subject to sitting, standing, walking, bending, reaching and lifting objects.
• Physical exertion may be required to life office supplies and other materials.
Click apply to be considered today!