- AA Graduated from an approved school of nursing (Required)
- BSN Graduated from an approved school of nursing. (Preferred)
Minimum Work Experience
- 2 years RN experience (Required)
- The licensed Registered Nurse will successfully complete the hospital and nursing orientation at Children’s National.
- Keep knowledge base current with new information or changes in specialty area.
Required Licenses and Certifications
- Registered Nurse in District of Columbia Registered Nurse licensed in the District of Columbia, Maryland or Virginia dependent upon location of practice. (Required)Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) .
- Contribute to Magnet re-designation as evidenced by independent updating of professional profile and initiation of council involvement, committees, task forces and /or community outreach.
- Demonstrate critical thinking skills by problem solving appropriately during patient care.
- Communicate to reflect development of plan of care and ability to advocate to meet patients’ needs.
- Independently initiate escalation of issues utilizing chain of command.
- Demonstrate proper use of the currently identified hand off processes.
- Demonstrate a collegial and respectful relationship with ancillary staff.
- Participate in implementing change and support management decisions.
- Role model behavior that reflects empathy, concern and a desire to help others.
- Independently maintain regulatory requirements e.g. license, BLS.
- Plan for attendance at mandatory education and professional activities to enhance nursing practice.
- Demonstrate professional review of peers through timely participation in evaluations.
- Seek out opportunities to participate in enhancing departmental goals by ensuring adherence to national safety standards and service excellence standards; support advancement of education and certification as well.
- Collaborate with members of the healthcare team and role model professional behavior and teamwork with coworkers.
- Utilize resources as needed and know when to escalate to next level.
Exemplary Professional Practice
- Utilize assessment data gathered from patient and family to ensure completion of data base and plan of care within identified timeframes.
- Demonstrate clinical skills with complex patients that reflect analysis of patient status and appropriate interventions.
- Role model skill in prioritization and organization for complex patient with rapidly changing needs.
- Documentation exemplifies adherence to the highest standards of practice.
- Anticipate and proactively plan for educational needs verified with patient and family throughout the hospital/outpatient stay and prior to discharge.
- Role model organizational skills, adjust for changes and is able to complete assignment on time.
- Demonstrate caring in all encounters with patient and family as evidenced by feedback from parents and an increase in patient satisfaction scores.
- Speak up when team members appear to exhibit unsafe behavior or performance
- Continuously validate and verify information needed for decision making or documentation
- Stop in the face of uncertainty and takes time to resolve the situation
- Demonstrate accurate, clear and timely verbal and written communication
- Actively promote safety for patients, families, visitors and co-workers
- Attend carefully to important details - practicing Stop, Think, Act and Review in order to self-check behavior and performance
New Knowledge, Innovations, and Improvements
- Identify ways to improve operations through quality improvement and assist in implementation of solutions.
- Identify self learning needs and take initiative to meet those needs.
- Ensure care is based on evidence with the literature and benchmarking
- Partner in the mission and upholds the core principles of the organization
- Committed to diversity and recognizes value of cultural ethnic differences
- Demonstrate personal and professional integrity
- Maintain confidentiality at all times
- Anticipate and responds to customer needs; follows up until needs are met
- Demonstrate collaborative and respectful behavior
- Partner with all team members to achieve goals
- Receptive to others’ ideas and opinions
- Contribute to a positive work environment
- Demonstrate flexibility and willingness to change
- Identify opportunities to improve clinical and administrative processes
- Make appropriate decisions, using sound judgment
Cost Management/Financial Responsibility
- Use resources efficiently
- Search for less costly ways of doing things