Patient Care Technician 7East Medical Care Unit (PCT/NA/EMT certification required, Day/Night rotation) - (220002UP)
7 East Medical Care Unit is an exciting, dynamic, fast-paced, 38-bed, acute care unit that provides multidisciplinary family centered care to acute and chronically ill infants, children, adolescents, and young adults with a wide variety of medical and nursing needs. 7 East is the first-choice unit for patients with cystic fibrosis, diabetes, metabolic disorders, asthma, and many other general medical disorders.
7 East is a dynamic unit with an innovative and multidisciplinary approach to the delivery of patient care. We value life-long learning, and continuously reflect on our practices, staff development and patient outcomes to ensure that we consistently provide high quality and safe patient care. The 7 East team is known for its excellent teamwork in a supportive work environment.
In collaboration with the multidisciplinary health care delivery team, under the direction of the Registered Nurse perform basic nursing care activities, assist in maintaining a safe, clean, stocked patient care setting, assist staff members and help direct patient flow .
High School Diploma or GED (Required)
Minimum Work Experience
1 year Experience in a health care setting if possible pediatrics; one semester clinical experience completed at an accredited school of nursing or military corpsman training. (Preferred)
Basic computer skills (typing, use of mouse, e-mail).
Knowledge of aseptic technique.
Basic calculations (addition, subtraction, multiplication and division).
Human relations and interpersonal skills.
Required Licenses and Certifications
Patient Care Technician, EMT, Nursing Assistant - any state (Required)
Basic Life Support for Healthcare Provider (BLS) (Required)
Patient Services - Admission
- Include but not limited to-orienting family to use of call lights, monitor and unit.
- Set up of monitor and alarms.
- Perform vital signs, height, weight and head circumference.
Patient Services - Daily Living
- Patient ADL’s include but not limited to daily bath, skin care with mouth care and peri-care.
- Ensure proper nutrition as ordered (ng, gt, or tray).
- Care of tube feeding and feeding of patients.
- Application of skin creams as directed by RN.
- Collection of cultures, urine and stool samples, etc.
Direct Patient Care
- Recognize and report pain and skin breakdown.
- Prioritize tasks and special requests from RN.
- Assist in performance of trach care and EVDs.
- Assist with central line dressing, pin care, cast and traction care and care for dying patients.
- Assist with preparation of room for discharge and admission; assist with patient flow by maintaining a neat and orderly environment.
- Obtain equipment and supplies and maintain PAR levels.
- Observe and alert RN when there are monitor deviations
- When assigned to monitor bank will follow the monitor guidelines to dress code and professionalism.
- Care for isolation patients.
- Adherence to hand washing before and after every patient.
- Clean equipment after each patient’s use.
- Document on nursing database, flow sheets and vital signs in a timely manner and notify appropriate charge nurse in computer or chart as suitable.
- Communicate effectively with RN and team members to achieve goals by reporting any changes, abnormal findings, and participate in beginning and end of shift reporting.
- Maintain professional relationships with patients and families.
- Resolve conflict with co-workers appropriately.
- Support a family-centered care environment.
- Communicate with RN on all patient care activities at least every hour; notify charge nurse when leaving and returning to the unit for any reason.
- Demonstrate non-judgmental behavior.
- Keep informed about council meetings and unit issues.
- Participate in shared decision making through contributing to unit discussion and support shared leadership decisions.
- Speak up when team members appear to exhibit unsafe behavior or performance
- Continuously validate and verify information needed for decision making or documentation
- Stop in the face of uncertainty and takes time to resolve the situation
- Demonstrate accurate, clear and timely verbal and written communication
- Actively promote safety for patients, families, visitors and co-workers
- Attend carefully to important details - practicing Stop, Think, Act and Review in order to self-check behavior and performance
- Unit communications associate follows all Hospital / Departmental policies/procedures.
- Remain on unit during assigned shift, notify Charge Nurse and appropriate staff members when leaving the unit for patient care related errands; leave patient care area only when assigned shift is completed, replacement staff member is present, and report is given.
- Use designated staff areas for eating, smoking, and socializing (perform only during assigned breaks).
- Work area is left in a neat and organized fashion.
- Use downtime productively during shift.
- Attend mandatory in-service/educational programs to learn about new procedures, skills, products, equipment; attend staff meetings.
- Partner in the mission and upholds the core principles of the organization
- Committed to diversity and recognizes value of cultural ethnic differences
- Demonstrate personal and professional integrity
- Maintain confidentiality at all times
- Anticipate and responds to customer needs; follows up until needs are met
- Demonstrate collaborative and respectful behavior
- Partner with all team members to achieve goals
- Receptive to others’ ideas and opinions
- Contribute to a positive work environment
- Demonstrate flexibility and willingness to change
- Identify opportunities to improve clinical and administrative processes
- Make appropriate decisions, using sound judgment
Cost Management/Financial Responsibility
- Use resources efficiently
- Search for less costly ways of doing things
: District of Columbia-WASHINGTON
Sheikh Zayed Campus
111 Michigan Avenue
: Patient Services
Position Status: R (Regular) - FT - Full-Time
Work Schedule: D/N rotating every other wknd
: Oct 3, 2022, 2:07:32 PM