High School Diploma or GED (Required)
Completion of an approved nursing assistant certification program (preferred)
Minimum Work Experience
1 year Experience preferred; and
Previous experience working with special need children and young adults.
Required Licenses and Certifications
Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) Upon Hire (Required)
CNA (Certified Nursing Assistant) certification in the District of Columbia (preferred)
- Performs direct patient care under the direction of a registered nurse and performs other unit duties as assigned. All efforts are directed towards continuous quality improvement and family centered care.
- Demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients served on his or her assigned unit. Must demonstrate knowledge of principle of growth and development over the life span and possess the ability to gather data reflective of the patient’s stats relative to his or her age specific needs and to provide the care needed.
- Performance Improvement and Safety
- a. Ensure familiarization with the hospital and departmental safety plan and execute all job responsibilities in a safe and efficient manner;
- b. Become familiar with the hospitals performance improvement concepts and practices and participate in performance improvement activities as needed.
- Adheres to the Generic Performance Standards.
- Utilizes electronic medical record patient care work list in assisting with daily nursing care for each patient.
- Assists and /or performs activities of daily living (ADL’s) for a group of patients to promote each patient’s independence and development.
- Involves patient in goals directed play to aid in motor, language, and psychosocial development.
- Observes and reports changes in patients’ condition.
- Documents all data collected and all interventions provided accurately and in a timely manner in electronic medical record.
- Demonstrates safe and effective use of equipment and supplies.
- Anticipates safety problems and intervenes appropriately.
- Performs other selected nursing procedures (as outlines on the competencies), under the direct supervision of the registered nurse according to nursing service department policy, procedures and standards.
- Adheres to universal precautions and infection control policies.
- Must utilize basic computer skills.
- Other job duties: Accompanies patient to clinics and therapies.
- Maintains the nursing unit as a safe, sanitary and organized environment, and conducts environmental rounds.
- Reports inadequacies to the charge nurse.
- Participates in quality assessment and improvement activities and
- Represent unit (as assigned) and participates in interdisciplinary patient related activities.
Organizational Accountabilities (Staff)
- Demonstrates understanding of quality of service and collaborates with co-workers to ensure excellence standard is achieved
- Innovates through improvement of care and/or efficiency of operational processes.
- Dedicated to a standard of performance excellence and high quality
- Embraces changes/improvements and actively participates in the implementation of new/improved programs, technology, new equipment, systems and resources that promote quality of care, safety and efficiency
- Identifies, prioritizes and selects alternative solutions to determine best outcome
- Maintains a high level of activity/productivity, meeting deadlines and appropriately prioritizing tasks to meet business demands
- Anticipates problems and attempts to solve before they develop
Blood Borne Pathogen Exposure
- Category II: Job may expose incumbent occasionally or in emergency situations to blood, body fluids, non-intact skin or tissue specimens.
Protected Health Information Access Level
- Level IV - Full Access Incumbents in this job may access any protected health information associated to a customer's needs, the service(s) rendered and the position's functions.
- This job operates in a hospital or office environment.
- Medium Work: Lifting 50 lbs. maximum with frequent lifting and/or carrying of objects weighing up to 25 lbs.
- This is a full-time, regular position working standard and extended hours.