Bachelor's Degree (Required)
BSN Graduated from an approved school of nursing (Preferred)
The licensed Registered Nurse will successfully complete the hospital and nursing orientation at Children’s National.
Role model organizational skills, adjust for changes and is able to complete assignment on time.
Required Licenses and Certifications
Registered Nurse in District of Columbia Registered Nurse licensed in the District of Columbia, Maryland or Virginia dependent upon location of practice (Required)Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) (Required)
- Contribute to Magnet re-designation as evidenced by independent updating of professional profile and initiation of council involvement, committees, task forces and/or community outreach.
- Demonstrate critical thinking skills by problem solving appropriately during patient care.
- Communication reflects development of plan of care and ability to advocate to meet patients’ needs.
- Independently initiate escalation of issues, utilize chain of command.
- Demonstrate proper use of the currently identified hand off processes.
- Demonstrate a collegial and respectful relationship with ancillary staff.
- Participate to implement change and support management decisions.
- Role model behavior that reflects empathy, concern and a desire to help others.
- Independently maintain regulatory requirements e.g. license, BLS.
- Plan for attendance at mandatory education and professional activities to enhance nursing practice.
- Demonstrate professional review of peers through timely participation in evaluations.
- Seek out opportunities to participate to enhance departmental goals by ensuring adherence to national safety standards and service excellence standards; support advancement of education and certification as well.
- Collaborate with members of the healthcare team and role model professional behavior and teamwork with coworkers.
- Utilize resources as needed and know when to escalate to next level.
Exemplary Professional Practice
- Utilize assessment data gathered from patient and family to ensure completion of data base and plan of care within identified timeframes.
- Demonstrate clinical skills with complex patients that reflect analysis of patient status and appropriate interventions on all critical care units.
- Role model skill in prioritization and organization for complex patient with rapidly changing needs.
- Documentation exemplify adherence to the highest standards of practice.
- Anticipate and proactively plan for educational needs verified with patient and family throughout the hospital/outpatient stay and prior to discharge.
- Independently demonstrate the ability to adjust and organize assignment when asked to float throughout scheduled shift.
- Demonstrate caring in all encounters with patient and family as evidenced by feedback from parents and an increase in patient satisfaction scores.
- Speak up when team members appear to exhibit unsafe behavior or performance
- Continuously validate and verify information needed for decision making or documentation
- Stop in the face of uncertainty and takes time to resolve the situation
- Demonstrate accurate, clear and timely verbal and written communication
- Actively promote safety for patients, families, visitors and co-workers
- Attend carefully to important details - practicing Stop, Think, Act and Review in order to self-check behavior and performance
New Knowledge, Innovations, and Improvements
- Identify ways to improve operations through quality improvement and assist in implementation of solutions across critical care units.
- Identify self learning needs and take initiative to meet those needs.
- Keep knowledge base current with new information or changes that affect your ability to maintain competency in all critical care units.
- Ensure care is based on evidence with the literature and benchmarking.
- Partner in the mission and upholds the core principles of the organization
- Committed to diversity and recognizes value of cultural ethnic differences
- Demonstrate personal and professional integrity
- Maintain confidentiality at all times
- Anticipate and responds to customer needs; follows up until needs are met
- Demonstrate collaborative and respectful behavior
- Partner with all team members to achieve goals
- Receptive to others’ ideas and opinions
- Contribute to a positive work environment
- Demonstrate flexibility and willingness to change
- Identify opportunities to improve clinical and administrative processes
- Make appropriate decisions, using sound judgment
Cost Management/Financial Responsibility
- Use resources efficiently
- Search for less costly ways of doing things